"Heavy duty" two lever cappers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When new, the Wilko cheap job wouldn't grip the Wychwood neck, but with care and direct vertical application of a lot of force, I could still cap them. But too much of a pain to be bothered.

Now the Wilko two-hander is worn, virtually all bottles are as difficult as the Wychwood ones were originally.

By the number of times I have posted you may get the drift that I am a fan of a bench capper.

All I can say is I wish I had taken the advice of the old hands when I first started and was recomended a bench capper. :evil: :evil:

I've noticed that capping is becoming more difficult with my Youngs two handed capper; I'm worried it will fail halfway through bottling a brew on a Sunday when the LHBS is closed.

Going to invest in a bench capper before the next brew is ready to bottle. Looks like it'll be worth testing it out before the big day though.

mollusc said:
I've noticed that capping is becoming more difficult with my Youngs two handed capper; I'm worried it will fail halfway through bottling a brew on a Sunday when the LHBS is closed.

Going to invest in a bench capper before the next brew is ready to bottle. Looks like it'll be worth testing it out before the big day though.

Snap, I share that same feeling when I am bottling too.

Ive got a cheapo Youngs jobby...absolute *****...

At the brewery I have a mean heavy duty bench capper...Lovely but some bottles stick to the bell thingy...

My mate has one of the old Boots versions of a 2 handled capper...its a beaut..capps brilliantly

So, does anyone make a bench capper that is (a) decent and (b) doesn't cost a fortune? I might stick it on my Xmas list if there is. My hand capper feels like it's about to snap!

Yes - the one you make yourself using the Silverline drill stand (it's also cheaper than the others). There is a very recent thread on how to make it but sorry I don't have it to hand.

Load of **** talked on here about bench cappers. ONE person has an issue, which is probably down to the way they are using it, or it has a large bell rather than the standard one.

ceejay, unless you want to bodge one yourself from a drill stand, then either the Automatic or From Hop And Grape I prefer teh Automatic over the manual. The automatic is easy to adjust (for a bottle size change mid run) and just looks and does the job. If you do get eh Automatic, it makes sense to buy the large bell as well

Thanks Aleman, I'll take a look. I don't want to make my own as it'll be going on the Xmas list :)

zgoda said:
mollusc said:

This is good thing. Works in my brewery for over 3 years, 100 brews capped, no problems so far. Needs some grease from time to time.

Yes just arrived today (how about that, next day delivery). Needed greasing, as you say.

Just tried it on a Crabbies bottle. Not as bad as Wychwood but not easy either. But, with this one, worked perfectly - straight on, no hassle.

So, for half the price of the automatic bench capper, I'm very happy.

Load of **** talked on here about bench cappers. ONE person has an issue, which is probably down to the way they are using it, or it has a large bell rather than the standard one.
Based on the replies to this post I'd have to say you're wrong, it seems a positive thumbs up from the majority, not sure why it's worth commenting on the minority :?

V, if I'm reading Tony's comment correctly, he's saying that the **** is the remarks AGAINST bench cappers. He's agreeing with the vast majority of us that they are the bee's knees.

Or I could be completely off! :lol:

Yep, that's my point one person against v a lot of people for, does not constitute a 'load of ****', in fact the opposite...a minority of **** :lol: ...I'm discussing degrees of **** :roll: ...nothing new there then :lol: :tongue:

I love mine but do think the base-upright joint could be sturdier.
If it ever fails I'll get a drill stand and try to fix the existing mechanism to it

I recently broke my brand new bench capper, I return it and got a refund. It wasn't sealing bottles correctly, it wouldn't engage the secondary crimp so to speak. People said push harder I did and broke the adjustment pin, that's my experience, but I'm still going to get a bench capper, I can bottle fast with my 2 hander but my girlfriend is useless and seen as she's apart of my production line I'll get a bench capper for her.

Even though I had a bad experience I'm still going to get a bench capper or make it.

I'm still using my twin lever I bought from Boots in 1984. :thumb:
Lever pins are a little worn but does the trick.

BB

Back