Caramalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
The LHBS has decided to stock a wider range of grain and has just got Caramalt in with more interesting malts to follow. I've picked up 500g to have a play would you just use in place of crystal and what kind of flavour profile would it give?

I'm thinking of an easy drinker session ale maybe 60% MO 30% Munich 8% Caramalt and 2% Wheat does that sound the right kind of way to use this grain?

caramalt is a crystal malt , caramelised malt . Usually it has a certain name with it like cara red , cara hell , cara vienna and so on . The name is instead of the crystal colour like carahell and hell is light in german so light crystal . Or simply caramelised vienna malt , cara vienna . Vienna malt is like pilsner but slightly darker and more malty so a medium to light malty crystal . Not sure which 1 cara malt is , does it say the ebc colour on it . I would think it is a medium crystal and for a 23l brew around 300g is often about right .

I've seen cara malt is around 27 ebc making that a light crystal , like carahell

I usually add 200 gms if I want sweet note in background. The paler crystal the more sweetness it imparts.

British Caramalt is a very light crystal malt, EBC 30ish, so about 15 Lovibond. Adds sweetness but not much colour. Good to balance bitterness in a pale beer.

Could you add it along with chocolate malt and so on to get a sweet, rich stout, perhaps? If so I may have to try it...

Algernon said:
Could you add it along with chocolate malt and so on to get a sweet, rich stout, perhaps? If so I may have to try it...
Sure can, I use 1/2 lb (about 230g in foreign money) of 28 EBC in mine: which is an Australian Guiness clone around 6% ABV - I should add as it was when I visited there. You will have to forgive my Neolithic imperial measurements; I still prefer them as I drink pints.

Back