Bru - Fermentation Monitoring and Control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinHankinson

Reaction score
Hi

I have been developing a wifi enabled monitor and control system I am calling Bru. Started off for my own use after my first few brews weren't too great and so I got a book on yeast (The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation) and realised how important the temp was during fermentation. Early days yet, but it seems to be helping. I would appreciate any feedback on the system and if there would be demand for this if I got a few built?

As a first post - I cannot add an external url - fair enough. it is w w w dot brucontrol dot co dot uk

This is not a company post - I am working on this as an individual with a passion for technology and a rekindled passion for homebrew!

Thank you

Kevin

Very interesting, and looks to be a great project. There's somebody else on here that's doing a similar thing with a Raspberry Pi.

For me the main thing you need to do it work on the following:
"*heating only. We are working on a solution to also provide cooling"

That is imperative to certain beer styles, eg lagers.

Personally the thing I'd be interested in is a STC1000 manual controller, but a Raspberry Pi monitoring and graphing so I can admire it from my desk at work all day ;)

Thats good to hear! I am scratching my head as to how to market Bru as it is a pretty niche market (which is a good thing in some respects). Hoping to get some early feedback to help decide the direction I take with this.

The Goatreich - I started with the Raspberry Pi. not a bad option, but I think it potentially offers too much - I felt there was a lot that could go wrong (specifically with the wifi networking) . I then looked at arduino - too expensive by the time wifi is added. I am now using a custom pcb built around a small factor wifi card which fits the bill perfectly. I would love to post a picture, but I think because I am new to the forum - it won't let me post. Hopefully I can get something up soon.

KevinHankinson said:
Thats good to hear! I am scratching my head as to how to market Bru as it is a pretty niche market (which is a good thing in some respects). Hoping to get some early feedback to help decide the direction I take with this.

There may be other niche markets that use heating and cooling ie aquariums, cheese making and charcuterie. Though the latter two also utilise humidity control as well, if that was also sorted then it could also be used Vivariums.

:thumb: :thumb:

mojonojo said:
Im not seeing what this does that brewpi and or brewbit dont do?

Thanks for your feedback. Yes there is already some great devices out there - technology is becoming much more accessible to the home brewer.

We hoping that the simplicity of Bru and its price will make it more attractive. Price will depend on demand - but we are confident we can sell Bru at a competitive price. We also have some ideas that take Bru beyond the initial temp control offering, but this a little further down the line.

Latest posts

Back