1st Time Turbo Cider Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivegoldstars

Reaction score
Hi. Recent starter, looking at moving from wine kits to turbo cider before fully homemade wines. Have got a million questions I'm looking for answers to, but I'll try to keep them thread specific!
I like a traditional, still, cloudy scrumpy (Westons style e.g. Old Rosie), and I'm wanting to do some small 2l test batches in the glass 2l jars. These have been adapted with a rubber grommet and bubbler airlock.
Firstly, can I just use 2/5 of the many recipes for gallon batches, or do some of the ingredients rise non-incrementally?
Secondly, I believe that traditional scrumpies have a meaty component. Is it possible to do this with a turbo cider, or is the fermentation too fast? I don't want to give myself food poisoning on my first batch!
Thirdly, as I don't want fizz, would it be possible to brew and condition in the same vessel, finally drinking from the same pot?
Finally, I've seen some syrups in a supermarket which are a condensed apple with other flavours (i.e. ginger, lime), which you add to water to make a hot drink. Could something like this be added to a turbo cider recipe to add flavour - basically, again, what type of thing can/can't I add to avoid poisoning/spoilage?
Thanks for reading!

Well, replying to my own post here :hmm:
I decided to take the plunge after getting a batch of 1l Morrisons AJ at 32p a pop. Have avoided the 2l jugs for fermentation - may syphon into them afterwards.
Have gone with two simple starter brews - a TC made with 250g of brewing sugar, and one with 125g of honey. Both have been made with cider yeast, yeast nutrient and citric acid. Probably looking at 8% and 6% respectively.
Fermentation appears to be slow. 48 hrs in and I've got a good deal of scum, but bubbles are only about one every 30 seconds at best.
I've still got 18l left, so another 3 demijohns ready for more test brews - maybe a 'summer fruits' or a mulled cider for Christmas?
Looking for suggestions as to what to do once fermentation is complete.
Should I pop a campden tablet in? Is it best to batch condition in another demijohn? If so, do I solid bung, or user a bubbler? What's a good length of time to leave them before taking a sip?
Cheers!

I batch age mine in a second DJ, I also use a bubbler. I recommend leaving them at least 6 months to get the best out of them (although my last one was drunk after 3 months). Best results I had were bottle conditioned after 9 months ageing in a DJ. Bottles were left another month after bottling

I batch age mine in a second DJ, I also use a bubbler. I recommend leaving them at least 6 months to get the best out of them (although my last one was drunk after 3 months). Best results I had were bottle conditioned after 9 months ageing in a DJ. Bottles were left another month after bottling

Thanks. I'd better get working on that Christmas batch!

My first two TC's have lost their initial head, and have been topped up.
Initially, I was looking to transfer to a clean DJ, allow to settle, then bottle.
However, after more hours of reading, I now don't know if I should use campden tablets, stabilisers, finings etc. There's also talk of pasteurising.
What does everyone here do? I'm hoping to end up with a flat, scrumpy style cidrr.

I have never used CT, stabilisers or finings.
For a scrumpy style cider you will need MLF to happen too

I have never used CT, stabilisers or finings.
For a scrumpy style cider you will need MLF to happen too

Thanks. For MLF, are we just looking at time in storage? Also does it create CO2? I was thinking of going from my second DJ into the screw top glass Westons bottles.

I always store and age my TC's under airlock. For MLF you need to make sure you have added malice acid, and leave it as long as you can

Ok, cheers.
Just got another batch on today - Tesco Apple and Raspberry not from concentrate. 1l marked down from about £1.50 to 37p a pop because of a short date. Just wondering now though if I should have used pectolase, because it's quite a thick, fruity liquid. Can this be added at any time?

Well, the first two TC's have been transferred to secondary. I had a little taster of each on the way in...nice! To be honest, I wouldn't have turned down drinking either straight away! However, I've decided to be patient, so they're in secondary, and heading off down the cellar for a stretch.
My third TC, the apple and raspberry not from concentrate is a bit different. It has developed a head which looks uncannily like a human brain floating in the jar. Because of the size, I had some problem topping up, and eventually decided to break up the head and remove a little with a sterile piece of tubing. It smells very nice, you can really get the raspberry, and I'm hoping that I haven't now contaminated or affected it in any way.
Here's to the next batch!

Latest posts

Back