"Cool Box" mash tuns with internal, copper strainers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ive bit my lip and refrained from posting this on many occasions. What a complete and utter waste of time and effort, all that cutting, soldering etc, and basically creating problems (blockages, heat loss).
All you need is 2 x 25li brewers buckets (£15.00) 1 x KK tap a 2mm drill bit and drill..and a old quilt
Drill a hole (25mm) in the first bucket as low as possible to fit the tap.
Drill as many 2mm holes in the second bucket as possible.
Put bucket nos2 inside bucket nos1 and there you have it. Foolproof
When mashing cover with a old quilt ( I loose 1oC over 60mins)

Interesting idea but it's no more difficult than the version I got from all over YouTube where you have a cheap coolbox, fit a tap and stick a length of copper pipe in the inside end of the tap with small holes drilled and hammer the open end closed.
Job done

Interesting idea but it's no more difficult than the version I got from all over YouTube where you have a cheap coolbox, fit a tap and stick a length of copper pipe in the inside end of the tap with small holes drilled and hammer the open end closed.
Job done

How long does this take to drain?

This is the mash tub I will be building tonight, I have 2 30 L buckets. I will be using a HERMS system to keep the wart warm but some insulation should do the trick. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers Johnny I now have my double fermenter bin tun mash tun :-) I don't know why more don't do it this way.

I will be running a full mash in the next few days so will update on how it works.

IMAG0376.jpg

I tried my new mash tub and it failed badly. I have no where near enough holes in it. I only had about 40 holes and need a lot lot more. It would not drain at all well. I will be testing again tonight with some spare grain.

I spent about an hour drilling holes. All seems to be fine now. I tested with 3KG of grain and it ran through fine.

The temp loss without my heat recalculation is quite a lot even with some insulation. Over 1 hr it will drop about 6 C.

My garage is cold at this time of year and may contribute to the temp loss.

Latest posts

Back