Stc 1000

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GV Brewing

Reaction score
Hello all.

I was hoping some one may be able to advise.

With great joy I began wiring my new stc1000 today and was delighted when I hit the power and it worked. I plugged a lamp into it and adjusted the temperature settings. When the temp went above the set level the lamp came on! Amazing! And then... Smoke. The thing popped cut out and started smoking.

I have attached a picture, I know it's hard to see but if anyone can tell me where I went wrong and hopefully save my pride I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks very much.

Chris

IMAG1335.jpg

IMAG1336.jpg

I have successfully built 2 of these and your wiring looks spot on to me.

Remember, these are built in China for pennies, it's probably not your fault, it's just failed.

The 2nd unit I got, kept giving an error message after wiring, when powered up, I checked everything 10 times and still got problems. Stripped it down and went it to error with only the sensor and the power connected. Sent it back for a refund. Luckily I got mine off Amazon so absolutely no problem returning it.

Send it back.

Thank you.

That makes me feel much better.

So no problem with the earth then? I presumed that may be the issue as shouldn't it have cut out before frying?

I also got it from Amazon so will hopefully be ok getting a replacement.

Thanks again.

Chris

Chris,

There is no earth connection on a STC 1000. The earth just goes to the sockets, just as you have done.

If the STC 1000 is connected incorrectly, then it goes into error and protects itself. Your's was correctly connected so didn't go into error, it's just poor quality control.

Amazon returns are really easy and I have never any query. Click on return, print the paperwork and drop it of at a Post Office.

Looks right, got to remember China churns out hundreds of thousands of these. When they work they're great. But with every manufacturing process you'll get the odd duff one. In industry there's a saying about kit like this, "if it survives the first week, it'll work for ever".

Try again with a fresh one, and see what happens, if it goes again, might be worth checking out your loads (fridge/heater) you never know.

Yeah all looks good to me. I think you were unlucky and got a dud. My one is working just fine (not that I'm trying to gloat... :P)

Haha, very glad that yours is doing well. Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

Going to send it back and hopefully have more luck with the next one.

Cheers,

Chris

I had the same problem . Wired up my STC And it worked for about 5 mins- then it got very hot and all went dead . However then checked everything - wiring, fuses etc - and couldn't understand it. From elation at it working to devastation when it went pop (ok slight exaggeration!)

Then I looked closely at the STC. I ordered a 220v unit from Amazon - but had been sent a 110v. I know nothing about electrics but guessing the 240v UK power overloaded it

Re- ordered from a new supplier and got a 220v. Wired up and tested over the weekend - and it seems to work fine! So beer in the fridge now at 21 degrees- brilliant!

Looks like your wiring was spot on to me too. I notice the label on yours says 220ac so it's fine for 230v in the UK. I would also say you've just been unlucky. When you get the new one, just double check all the terminals are screwed down firm, just in case there was an arc, but I think you just got a lemon.

Back