Kit Beer Loss?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawanrob

Reaction score
Hi, I bottled my Festival Golden Stag tonight and just wondered if 2ltr loss from 23ltr is about right? I bottled 40 x 500ml bottles so I am pleased but just wondered if Im being efficient whilst I use my auto-syphon which is very fast which may be my issue when you get near the bottom of the FV it seems to pull up the trub very easy.

Thanks in advance

Yeah id say it was normal, if you were to syphon it out into a seperate bucket first and leave to clear on a tiled floor for a day or two then either bottle from there or transfer onto the sugar into the other fermenter. Abit time consuming and more cleaning to do but it does produce a clearer beer and also gives you more beer out of your original 23ltrs.

Yeah id say it was normal, if you were to syphon it out into a seperate bucket first and leave to clear on a tiled floor for a day or two then either bottle from there or transfer onto the sugar into the other fermenter. Abit time consuming and more cleaning to do but it does produce a clearer beer and also gives you more beer out of your original 23ltrs.

Thanks, this is what I have been doing with my small batch AG's but didn't think to do it with the kit beer as I just followed the instructions but next time I will do the 2nd fermenter for a few days and see what my loss is from that, I suppose I'm just being greedy:wink:

I got loads of trub with this kit and had real problems with the syphon so I'd say you've done well to get 40x bottles

40 bottles sounds about right from a kit. I tend to clean and sterilise 40 unless the trub looks very small in which case I go to 42-44 instead.

Latest posts

Back