Amarillo Extra Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodabod

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the recipe which was actually brewed:

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 25 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.031
Efficiency: 69% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.039
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 4.1%
IBU (tinseth): 31.02
SRM (morey): 4.73

FERMENTABLES:
3 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (83.3%)
0.2 kg - Torrified Wheat (5.6%)
0.2 kg - Flaked Oats (5.6%)
0.2 kg - German - Vienna (5.6%)

HOPS:
10 g - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: First Wort, IBU: 10.76
20 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 11.66
40 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 90 °C, IBU: 8.6
40 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 68 C, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Grains:

photo_1.jpg

Mashing:

photo_2.jpg

Dunk sparge, heating up to mash-out temp:

photo_3.jpg

The boil. Bittering hops are bagged. Looks hideous, but it has cleared up to a straw-yellow:

photo_4.jpg

Home-made wort filter. It's a large ring covered with mesh so that it has a large surface area. A silicone hose leaves the ring, containing the filtered wort:

photo_2_1.jpg

Post-boil gravity looks like 1039-ish to me, which makes my efficiency around 69%. I topped up the post-boil liquor prior to this measurement with cold water to take it down to 90c for the whirlpool hop addition:

photo_1_1.jpg

US-05 is rehydrated, and the cream is chucked into the fermenter which you can still see sitting on top. It was then sloshed around:

photo_5.jpg

All went well this time around, as far as I can see. I used a pump with my plate chiller this time which made things easier, but it's still a bit of a faff with the wort filter and additional hosing. I'm considering using a BIAB bag like a sieve to filter the wort again into a fermenter bucket, and then pump the liquor directly next time. I pitched slightly warm at around 25c as it was already 24c in the house. Added a wet towel to cool the fermenter, but I'm not worrying too much, especially since US-05 doesn't have a tendency for off-flavours in my experience.

Sounds good that. Thanks for the pics and write up. I chucked US05 in my brew on Friday cos of the warm weather. Has been fermenting nicely at about 22C. Keep us posted on how yours goes. :thumb:

This looks great, might have a go at this!
I've a load of MO, Chinook and Amarillo lying around so should be perfect for a nice refreshing summer beer. I'm going to a festival at the end of August and need something that will cost considerably less than £5 a pint!

Hi i have a question about the hop schedule. it appears that its

10 g - Chinook 60 min
40 g - Amarillo 20 min
20 g - Amarillo 15 min
40 g - Amarillo Dry Hop for 5 days

is that correct?

Almost- the 20 minute addition of 40g is actually post-boil, and added when the wort reaches 90c which in my case was around 10 mins after flame out. It then sits (or swirls around) in the wort for 20 mins. The idea is to add less bitterness and relatively more flavour/aroma.

The Chinook at the beginning is used as it's a high alpha acid hop, so cheaper to use for a given bitterness.

I will give an update as to how well this has turned out in maybe a couple of weeks.

10g/litre priming sugar will add about 0.2% ABV, so it'll end up looking around 4% either way.

Almost- the 20 minute addition of 40g is actually post-boil, and added when the wort reaches 90c which in my case was around 10 mins after flame out. It then sits (or swirls around) in the wort for 20 mins. The idea is to add less bitterness and relatively more flavour/aroma.

The Chinook at the beginning is used as it's a high alpha acid hop, so cheaper to use for a given bitterness.

I will give an update as to how well this has turned out in maybe a couple of weeks.

10g/litre priming sugar will add about 0.2% ABV, so it'll end up looking around 4% either way.

ok i understand, sounds delicious :D

Latest posts

Back