AG#3 - Belgian Blonde Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to be putting this on tomorrow.

A slight variation of the GH recipe. All equipment cleaned and sanatised. Not sure to put 500g of candi sugar in or 300g and keep some back for priming.

Will be starting around mid day when I get in off the bike.

Belgian.png

Not done a Belgian myself Leon, good luck with the brew today.

I do some cycling myself, not so much through the winter. Did a spinning class last Wednesday with a bunch of pals, nearly killed us but we enjoyed it so going back for more this Wednesday !

Not done a Belgian myself Leon, good luck with the brew today.

I do some cycling myself, not so much through the winter. Did a spinning class last Wednesday with a bunch of pals, nearly killed us but we enjoyed it so going back for more this Wednesday !

Just got back from my spin. Quick shower and peco is on

Took the Peco 35 minutes to 80c which seems quicker than normal. Warmer than I planned but it coloured down when I was weighing the grain. It said mash with 16.75l which I thought wasn't a lot for so much grain and after mixing it all in it clearly wasn't. Had to add just over a litre and it is now sitting nicely at 67c. Time to wash my bike.

The day went by without any real issues. Seemed to go a lot quicker than normal.

Didn't lose any temperature during the mash, must be the benefits of brewing indoors. I put the bag of grain to soak in about 8l of water and gave it a good dunk. Boil started really quickly but I needed to add some boiling water to get it to 27l.

I took the boiler outside to cool and it cooled really quickly, perhaps too quicker. I started cleaning up and before I knew it the wort was 20c before I had even transferred to the FV. Here I had a little issue. My Peco was showing around 25l but on transferring I ended up just short of 21l in the fv. Due to there being little hops, plus the styrian goldings were pellets, there was little waste, half a pint at most. Not sure which one is out, the FV or the boiler. The Styrian hops smelt lovely, hoping they give a hint of flavour.

I hope my liquid yeast is ok, no movement so far.

gravity reading was 1.062 so just below what I was expecting but I may be slightly under with the volume. I think I could have drained the bag a lot more but due to being in the kitchen I was reluctant to gets sticky wort everywhere.

Didn't take many pictures but here are what I managed.

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

Yeah enjoyed today. Time went so fast. I had all cleaned up and done the dishes before the wife came home. She did say the house stunk if hops though. She failed to notice the fv under the dining room table

Yeah enjoyed today. Time went so fast. I had all cleaned up and done the dishes before the wife came home. She did say the house stunk if hops though. She failed to notice the fv under the dining room table

Nice pics and a good day by the sounds of it Leon, hope it tastes great in due course.

Bubbling away this morning. Got high hopes for this. I think if I would do it again I would add more water to the mash, I think that would have improved efficiency

Just took a reading after 8 days in the fv. Down to 1.012. Lower than expected. Still a bit of krausen on top so may drop a bit more.

Back