1st brew- coopers treacle stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After one week in a bottle, doesn't retain its head till its finished though, will try again in a week 😊

attachment.php

Looks OK to me.
If my Coopers stouts are anything to go by they do change quite a lot in taste over the first two to three weeks then settle down. Far more noticeable than ales.
I read somewhere that longer bottle conditioning means smaller bubbles which in turn means a more stable head on the beer, so you may notice a difference on that too after a few more days/weeks.
However this doesn't affect me too much since I use a PB for my stouts, because the pressurised delivery through the tap gives them a creamy head similar to those served in the pub.

On the Coopers forum the Coopers bloke who posted suggested this if you want a nice head on a stout.

Pour beer into glass.
With 30ml syringe suck up beer.
Then put syringe below surface of beer and inject the beer back in.

I haven't tried it yet, and to be honest I'd forgotten. I do have a 100ml syringe on the way from China so I might try it.

Kicked this off on Sunday. Remenants of foam visible throught the FV (not loads as previously reported), indicator seems to have stopped bubbling this morning.

I used:
1kg brewing sugar
500g dark spray malt
small tin of black treacle.

When I added the hot water to the mix, the dark spray malt appeared to solidify but after plenty of stirring the lumps appeared to dissolve. It's the first time I have used spray malt, is this normal?

10 days in the FV and the SG last night was 1.007. Smelt good, tasted the sample and wow! Even SWMBO took a sip and was impressed.
Going to check again tomorrow, hopefully bottle on Saturday. Looking forward this batch.

I have muscovado and normal white granulated available for carbonating. Apart from the taste the muscovado gives is there any difference to the carbonation effect?

On the Coopers forum the Coopers bloke who posted suggested this if you want a nice head on a stout.

Pour beer into glass.
With 30ml syringe suck up beer.
Then put syringe below surface of beer and inject the beer back in.

I haven't tried it yet, and to be honest I'd forgotten. I do have a 100ml syringe on the way from China so I might try it.
It does certainly work.Just don't fill it up and then fire it in:eek::lol:

Sorry Mate. Does it work?

you say "just DON'T fill it up".
Yup only draw up around 2-4 ml, any more and you risk an overflow.I did it last xmas in a pint of stout, showed my lad who promptly drew up a whole syringe and whacked it in another pint:doh::doh:

Yup only draw up around 2-4 ml, any more and you risk an overflow.I did it last xmas in a pint of stout, showed my lad who promptly drew up a whole syringe and whacked it in another pint:doh::doh:

OK thanks. I'll find the original post on the Coopers and check what he said.
Then I'll try it. Might even do a youtube video.

I bottled this at 1.016 recently but in plastic bottles so at least I can feel the carbonation as it progresses. Primed with 140g of sugar which given the fg might have been a bit too much; still it's a learning curve... I'm a bit concerned I might have bottled too soon, only time will tell. It tasted effing fab in the trial jar though!

I bottled this at 1.016 recently but in plastic bottles so at least I can feel the carbonation as it progresses. Primed with 140g of sugar which given the fg might have been a bit too much; still it's a learning curve... I'm a bit concerned I might have bottled too soon, only time will tell. It tasted effing fab in the trial jar though!

I use dextrose, not sugar. I wouldn't use less than 160 grams for 23 litres now.
I tried lower and it just didn't carb properly. Someone told me the other week they use 124 grams and it wasn't carbed up very much. Coopers do say on their recipes 8 grams per litre.

At least yours are in plastic so you can keep giving them a squeeze.
I rarely use a hydrometer, but I would have thought 1.016 was about right.
I'll check my latest one with a hydrometer if I remember. I've got a toucan that's been the FV 11 days. I'll probably leave it another week.

Bump!!:)

I have muscovado and normal white granulated available for carbonating. Apart from the taste the muscovado gives is there any difference to the carbonation effect?

So my first Coopers batch is bottled. My first experience of bottling and I am impressed with the Coopers PET bottles. The tip I picked up on this forum to squeeze the bottle a bit to remove any air before scewing the top on worked ok. Overnight the bottles have pressured back up pushing out the dents.

Looking forward to tasting time :thumb:

Need a bit of advice...!

I've just been reading on the Coopers website that 2 carbonation drops equate to 8g/litre.

I used 80g of white granualted sugar as recommended by my LHBS owner. But I brewed it to 20 litres!

First signs are the bottles have pressurised up. Am I being too concerened?:-(

Need a bit of advice...!

I've just been reading on the Coopers website that 2 carbonation drops equate to 8g/litre.

I used 80g of white granualted sugar as recommended by my LHBS owner. But I brewed it to 20 litres!

First signs are the bottles have pressurised up. Am I being too concerened?:-(

Sounds ok. Priming calculator reckons 83 gms at 20c(1.9)

Having seen all the posts on here about how great this kit is I made my first batch of it last night.

I decided to make it pretty much as per the instructions first time around so if I like it I can start tweaking it in future brews and see what I like or don't like.

So I made it to 5 gallons / 23l using the can + a pack (1kg) of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2. Smelt great as I was making it and upon adding the brew enhancer ended up with a really concentrated, dark, almost syrupy wort which looked amazing. I then topped up with cold water to the 23L mark and was expecting quite a decent OG from my sample due to how highly concentrated it all looked at the earlier stage but I was quite disappointed, hard to say exactly as I had some froth in the trial jar that was being a bit persistent but looked to be around 1.032! Means it will come in around 3% ABV at best.

Think I now fully understand why folk tend to brew this kit short (i.e. to 20L) and add extra fermentables.

Oh well, got warned that my liver was straining a bit after a blood test due to the medication I'm on so perhaps having some weaker session beer will help matters. Still expect it to taste nice as it showed promise while I was making it. Next time will add more extract and some treacle.

Having seen all the posts on here about how great this kit is I made my first batch of it last night.

I decided to make it pretty much as per the instructions first time around so if I like it I can start tweaking it in future brews and see what I like or don't like.

So I made it to 5 gallons / 23l using the can + a pack (1kg) of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2. Smelt great as I was making it and upon adding the brew enhancer ended up with a really concentrated, dark, almost syrupy wort which looked amazing. I then topped up with cold water to the 23L mark and was expecting quite a decent OG from my sample due to how highly concentrated it all looked at the earlier stage but I was quite disappointed, hard to say exactly as I had some froth in the trial jar that was being a bit persistent but looked to be around 1.032! Means it will come in around 3% ABV at best.

Think I now fully understand why folk tend to brew this kit short (i.e. to 20L) and add extra fermentables.

Oh well, got warned that my liver was straining a bit after a blood test due to the medication I'm on so perhaps having some weaker session beer will help matters. Still expect it to taste nice as it showed promise while I was making it. Next time will add more extract and some treacle.

1.032 seems low. As a comparison I put on a Morgans (Aussie brand owned by Coopers) Lager yesterday with a kilo of BE2. That was 1.036
That's the first time I've used a hydrometer this year I think. So sorry didn't take a reading when I did just a stout earlier in the year.
I now do toucans. Tin of stout and a tin of dark ale, with just 300grams or so of dextrose.

Ok so I'm thinking of making this for Xmas, but I want to introduce some cinnamon favour. How's best to do it? I'm thinking of boiling a coupe of cinnamon sticks and putting in the wort in a strainer bag, not sure how long to leave it in for? Is this the best way to do it?

Thanks

Jake

After getting home last night and having the surprise of unloading a ton of logs into the garage, I decided to treat myself to my first bottle.

Early I know but it had been 1 week carbonating in the bottle and since Saturday in the fridge. Very nice, the black treacle taste was not too overpowering! Even SWMBO tried some and approved!
I think next time I will reduce to 500g of brewing sugar as it is quite strong.

After a bit more thought and research here is my proposed recipe for the Xmas brew.

1.7kg coopers Irish stout
300g demera sugar
454g black treacle
500g dark spray malt
250g maltodextrin
3 heaped tablespoons ground coffee.

I'm concerned about the whole tin of treacle so could reduce and add more sugar.... Thoughts please.

Also I want to try to replicate the creaminess of Guinness so do u think 250g maltodextrin would do it?

I want it to have a nice kick, wondering if I need more fermentables?

Latest posts

Back