"Bensons Oatmeal Stout" - a tribute to mans best friend

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
This will be my first split day brew session.

Sparging tonight and leaving the preboil volume in the boiler (covered) tonight, I'll boil it up tomorrow :)

Brewlength 60L
Target OG 1.049
Target IBU ~30
Efficiency 75%
90 Min 67c Mash
90 min Boil
Pre Boil Target 85L at 1.040

9.5kg Pale (Marris Otter)
1.3kg Flaked Barley
730g Crystal Malt
730g Chocolate Malt
730g Oats (roasted in the over for 1hr @ 165)
270g Roasted Barley

Northdown - 90mins to 30IBU

Fermenting using S04

HLT on - Pics to follow :thumb:

A few piccies

The oats before they went into the oven:

001-3.jpg

After roasting:

020-2.jpg

The 'other' grains:

021.jpg

9.5kg Pale & with the other grains added:

022-1.jpg
023-1.jpg

The Mash 67.3c that'll do me :

025-1.jpg

Hiya MEB

I'm following V1's recipe and thats what he does.

Oh and the oven got fixed yesterday :party:

Chestnuts tonight :thumb:

MEB - Yep :(

Brew resumed - not much to do - will explain all in a bit ;)

OK done for tonight :)

I have 85L of 1.046 black as coal wort in the boiler, this will be boiled up tomorrow night :thumb: (hopefully dog permitting) :shock:

This is the most i've ever had in the boiler :shock: hoping for 60L after boil and losses :)

re : Dog, for those who are interested, we have a 7yo English Springer called Benson and he's been through the wars this last month, we had some bad news today, although still waiting on results from tests taken today we have been told that we should expect the worst, which could see him not with us in a week, at the point I stopped the brew he was in a bad way, but he's rallied around a bit - hopefully that was just the affects of todays general anethetic.

Will be saying a wee prayer for Benny tonight myself.

Hope he pulls through mate. I don't even want to think about it really. Dogs are better than 99% of humans in my eyes. :(

Thanks guy's, unfortunately we got the news we were dreading tonight and the poor lad has cancer and it's spread and is not treatable. I'm just waiting for a call back from the vet as we have a few questions for him before finally making the decision about what to do and when. I just don't want him to suffer..

As for the brew, I won't be boiling the wort I collected last night - tonight, can you leave it in a boiler for 1, 2 or 3 days or is it just better to start from scratch?

Cheers

I'm real sorry to hear about Benson mate. You've gotta do the right thing though, he'll not want to suffer as much as you don't want him to. :(

The only bad part about having dogs is their relatively short lifespan. :( :( :(

Leave the brew for a day or two. I did with no ill effects.

Sorry to hear the news Wez.

Can come over and offer a helping hand with the brew if you want.

Back