Gales Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
Lidl have bottle conditioned Marston's Pedigree Amber Ale at ���£1.25 (if memory serves me well). Any opinions on this beer? What yeast strain do Marston's use?

Hi haven't tried that beer. I think Marstons use their own strain. White Labs WLP026 is supposed to be the marstons strain I think

Spotted a tweet from Marble Brewery earlier for you Gales Fans,

DPPQbk-WAAA2mtT.jpg

Interesting. I've just read that the marble yeast is a version of Gales yeast

Interesting. I've just read that the marble yeast is a version of Gales yeast

Wouldn't surprise me given the headbrewer James Kemp lists Fuller's as a former employer and is a bit of a British yeast fan. Kemp on yeastan article he wrote in between Buxton and Marble where he worked for the company that makes Mangrove Jacks yeasts.

Wouldn't surprise me given the headbrewer James Kemp lists Fuller's as a former employer and is a bit of a British yeast fan. Kemp on yeastan article he wrote in between Buxton and Marble where he worked for the company that makes Mangrove Jacks yeasts.

Interesting article. Especially the bit about brewdog using an English derived yeast for punk IPA. Especially since DIY dog statest Wyeast 1056 as the suggested yeast

The weather seems to have turned colder here in the Hamlet. Its 16.5C on my kitchen floor but I'm quite surprised to see the Gales yeast happily munching away at a my Bitter. I would have thought it would have dropped out or something. I did chuck quite a lot of yeast at the Bitter though and I'm guessing its a degree or two warmer in the FV than at ambient

I havent used the Gales yeast for quite some time. I seem to have been making a lot of pseudo lagers or stouts (with notty) for the past eight months or so. I fancy making a bitter now though. I have a small amount of Gales slurry in a centrifuge tube in the fridge. The date on it is 10/09/18. I've put it in 200ml of 1.039 starter wort. The beer on top of the slurry smelt fine, so fingers crossed It'll step up ok

Well it's definately kicked off this morning. So there's been no problem with viability after nearly a year in the fridge.

I'm really looking forward to making an drinking another bitter. I'm going to step this lot in 1L-2L (depending on yield) and hopefully I should do a brew next monday

Last edited:
I noticed a few weeks ago that ASDA no longer stock Gales HSB. Today I happened to be cycling past the Fullers brewery (who now make Gales beers but with the Gales yeast), so I popped into the shop to ask if they stocked bottles of HSB. One of the chaps told me that Fullers stopped making HSB in bottles about 9 months ago! Perhaps it has something to do with the Ashai buy out?

So sadly I'm going to have to take Gales HSB off the bottle conditioned beer list. I'm also going have to be very careful with the Gales yeast I do have and propogate it properly. I think I might start top cropping too

You are now the official custodian of the Gales yeast.

With great power comes great responsibility...

I noticed a few weeks ago that ASDA no longer stock Gales HSB. Today I happened to be cycling past the Fullers brewery (who now make Gales beers but with the Gales yeast), so I popped into the shop to ask if they stocked bottles of HSB. One of the chaps told me that Fullers stopped making HSB in bottles about 9 months ago! Perhaps it has something to do with the Ashai buy out?

So sadly I'm going to have to take Gales HSB off the bottle conditioned beer list. I'm also going have to be very careful with the Gales yeast I do have and propogate it properly. I think I might start top cropping too
Is this a different yeast to the fullers Bengal lancer yeast?

Is this a different yeast to the fullers Bengal lancer yeast?
Yes.

Gales was a separate brewery with its own yeast. When it closed, Fullers bought the brand and kept the yeast alive, but they use their own strain for their own branded beers.

Yes.

Gales was a separate brewery with its own yeast. When it closed, Fullers bought the brand and kept the yeast alive, but they use their own strain for their own branded beers.
Ah I see. That's a shame then!

Back