1 can kits.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started of with coopers one can kits and found they made good beer, however if you add in dme, hops, decent yeast to pimp up the kit then you can be spending upwards of £20.00. Hence why I switched to all grain.

No, not a rip off.

It's quite hard to find anything other than a one can kit here in Australia.
Two can kits are available but I'd have to buy by post.

That said I've always been used to added brewing sugar at first and now LDME to my brews.
I buy the LDME in bulk to keep the cost down and most of my beers don't have that much
hops in them. So with what I save in postage pays for the LDME and hops.

I've just checked the exchange rate and for instance I can buy a Coopers APA in the supermarket for
£9. A Kilo of malt costs me £4.20. Hops are £3.60-£4.20 for 50 grams.

And all grain is not for me. I just don't have the time unfortunately.
Also some of the oldies up the road think a kit and a kilo of white sugar is great. Especially in our summer when it's 30C and it ferments out in four days:lol:

I am allgrain brewing now having done quite a few of the Festival and Youngs Premium kits, like Landlord, Golden stag, Summer Ale, American IPA etc and I would certainly not call them rubish in fact I think they can produce a beer as good as some Micro breweries I have tried. For those who dont have the time/space/equipment for all grain they are a good way to brew beer. If I ever needed to restock and didn't have time for a day brewing all grain I would certainly not hesitate to brew one of these kits.

That's what I thought too but then I tried it and oh boy was it hard work getting through 40 pints of the stuff. St Peter's cream stout, that was, and incidentaly not even remotely like the real thing.

ive made great one can kits but you do have to pimp them up.currently drinking a kit beer that cost me 30p a pint excluding boiling a couple of kettles of water:thumb:

That's what I thought too but then I tried it and oh boy was it hard work getting through 40 pints of the stuff. St Peter's cream stout, that was, and incidentaly not even remotely like the real thing.

I know what you mean there, when I first started brewing I did the cream stout and it wasn't great but since then I have made a fermentation fridge and got the kit as a gift so re brewed it and used a king keg and I have to say temp control plus a pressure barrel dispense transformed this brew, polished it off far too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed my first kit, which was bought as a Christmas present. St Peter's Golden Ale. I think singularly it can be bought between £20 - £30, which really isn't all that costly for what you get from 23L. You get two tins as opposed to one though. I brew AG these days though, so I've not had a kit for a while.

To be fair I was specifically referring to the festival kits. I have bottles of Summer Glory which I am still drinking in between my all grain brew and it's a nice drink. All the Festival kits I have done have been great.

So there you have it.
There are those that
- believe all kits and even extract brews are rubbish and will only do AG
- are happy to do kits perhaps with extract brews and AG as well
- those that do one cans but boost them with grains and hops, and perhaps do premium kits too
But most on here probably agree that a basic one can and a kilo of sugar is not going to produce a decent beer.
We all have our different reasons for brewing beer driven by cost, time, space, desire to experiment, and perceived product quality, and all of that's fine by me :thumb:

I've used Wilco's Cerveza as a base for some interesting brews because it delivers consistency.

At +/- £9 each I don't really think they are a rip-off; unlike some of the often over £25 two-can kits!

Ok,if its not going to go away!
Dutto, usually,not always, the kits that are that price come with double the liquid extract,100g of hops ,a hop sock filter and priming sugar and it just saves hassle.
Its whatever suits I guess,maybe a Cerveza needs a little sugar for that style rather than a whack of malt.

Ok,if its not going to go away!
Dutto, usually,not always, the kits that are that price come with double the liquid extract,100g of hops ,a hop sock filter and priming sugar and it just saves hassle.
Its whatever suits I guess,maybe a Cerveza needs a little sugar for that style rather than a whack of malt.

I've added (not all at the same time I might add :lol:) chillies, chopped pumpkin, golden syrup, lemon zest, grenadine syrup etc.

It really is my "go to" brew for cheap experiments! :thumb:

Back