Quick Lager method

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Well yesterday I turned 36 and my mum and Dad kindly got me some brewing supplies.. obvioulsy this goes back to something I used to drink as a kid but they got me.. wait for it... some ingredients to clone stella!! however the recipe is from the 80s What I actually have is loads of lager or pilsner grain saaz hops hallertau hops and some safale S23 yeast x2.

So with that in mind there is no reason why I cannot get a decent beer out of this except I want to try and cheat a little.

1) I only have a brew bag but getting 15ºc should be achievable with enough bottles in circulation
2) I do not really want to tie up fermentaion for that long..

So using the quick lager method I was thinking of

1) fermenting around 5-7 days @ 15ish degrees (maybe lower) then remove the bottles until ambient temp for about a week..

2) I got some gelatin.. do I even need this?? add that if required. then try and fridge it for another week.. (if I can get the fridge space)

3) Bottle it, carb it and then stick the bottles in the fridge for a few weeks..

I am not doing this just yet but does this or this method seem sound enough??

I've just finished a batch of lager using this method and have a raspberry lager just on the ramp up at the moment.
Its only been bottled 12 days now, but I couldn't resist putting a couple bottles in the fridge. Then I couldn't resist trying them with the misses last night after only three days:nono:
Quite funny one bottle was nice and clear the other a little cloudy?(I didn't use gelatine)
The lager was ok but not great. I think that was down to my hop choice and maybe not getting the water right or just it needs more time.

They do say you need to get it down to 10c before adding gelatine. It certainly works as done it myself a few times. Dropping it down to 0c really does help it to drop but brulosophy have done tests where they ferment higher and said they cant tell the difference. CML kolsch yeast produces a very Lager type beer and have fermented that at 14c with 2 packs.

Did this Vienna Lager earlier this year and only just started drinking it:

Started 13th March 2017
Youngs Lager Yeast pitched at 20 degrees.
Fermented on Heat Pad.
To MK's 6-9 and 5 bottles with 55g of sugar on 28th March 2017
Carbonating in fridge at 20 degrees until 3rd April 2017.
Cold Crashed in Fridge at 1 Degree 2nd to 6th April 2017.
Conditioning on shelves in garage.
OG 1.048 (Just within style!)
FG 1.009
ABV 5.12%

Delicious!

Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
3.20kg Maris Otter
1.50kg Pale Malt
0.15kg Caramalt
0.15kg Crystal Malt
50g Hallertau Pellets
Youngs Lager Yeast
Protafloc Tablet
Yeast Nutrient

Enjoy. :thumb:

I do both a Cerveza and a Czech Pilsner from Greg Hughes's book, first time I did them exactly with his timings, 12 degrees until finished, then a d-rest for 5 days and 30 days at 3 degrees, using WLP940 and WLP800, second time using the brulosophy method and I cannot tell the difference in a side by side comparison, never used gelatin because it was clear already at the end of the fermentation, might be the yeast used or the Clarity ferm that I put in with the yeast. My third batch of both is at 0 degrees now while I am offshore and will go into bottles and my first attempt at mini-kegs when I get home, these are the only lagers I do and everybody loved them this summer, myself included, I am totally convinced about the brulosophy method.
Now I just have to figure out the maximum amount of Brewing sugar I can put in the mini-kegs in order to get the most carbonation possible.

I do both a Cerveza and a Czech Pilsner from Greg Hughes's book, first time I did them exactly with his timings, 12 degrees until finished, then a d-rest for 5 days and 30 days at 3 degrees, using WLP940 and WLP800, second time using the brulosophy method and I cannot tell the difference in a side by side comparison, never used gelatin because it was clear already at the end of the fermentation, might be the yeast used or the Clarity ferm that I put in with the yeast. My third batch of both is at 0 degrees now while I am offshore and will go into bottles and my first attempt at mini-kegs when I get home, these are the only lagers I do and everybody loved them this summer, myself included, I am totally convinced about the brulosophy method.
Now I just have to figure out the maximum amount of Brewing sugar I can put in the mini-kegs in order to get the most carbonation possible.

That's good to hear from someone else. Will have to try those yeasts. I found a heaped teaspoon or level per 500ml to give a nice fizz depending on your tastes.

That's good to hear from someone else. Will have to try those yeasts. I found a heaped teaspoon or level per 500ml to give a nice fizz depending on your tastes.
I was talking about the 5liter minikegs, I believe they are quite sensitive to overcarbonating....

Latest posts

Back