Drunken Lazy B*st*rd

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tonight I’m brewing a corner-cutting, simple stout, loosely based on Graham Wheeler’s Guinness clone

3kg pale malt
450g roasted barley
500g flaked barley
350g flakes oats

19L full volume, no sparge BIAB. Mash at 66 from 5:30pm until the kids are in bed.

60min boil

35g target for 60mins.

No chill.

Ferment at 20 with CML Real ale yeast.

For those of you (most of you) that don’t get the music reference in my thread title:
https://youtu.be/ojUOaYjNfA0

Hadn't realised it was a music reference you corner cutting drunken lazy b*st*rd.:)
Liked the tune though and hope the beer turns out good. I'm going to have to have a go at a stout soon and now I know what to call it.

Hadn't realised it was a music reference you corner cutting drunken lazy b*st*rd.:)
Liked the tune though and hope the beer turns out good. I'm going to have to have a go at a stout soon and now I know what to call it.

I’ll shout about the Mahones as much as I can - a criminally underrated band! All of my beers have a music theme, it started with Common People and grew from there.

This is my first ever stout too. I inherited the pale malt and roasted barley last week, originally planned to do a pseudo lager or SMaSH and ditch the RB, but thought I’d give this a go. I had some porridge oats sitting in the cupboard, and Holland & Barrat do the barley flakes in 500g bags so I made that sub, and the bitterness was off with the hops in the recipe so I’ve adjusted in Brewers Friend to give me 45IBUs

Apart from some of the RB escaping my grain bag, everything has gone smoothly so far. Mash ended up being more than 2 hours and boil is now on.

Eff Me! I’ve just taken my gravity reading after cooling my sample in a jug of water for a while and it’s 1.056! That gives me an efficiency of 86%! If there was ever an argument for me to get a grain mill this is it (the grain was uncrushed and I ended up borrowing a stranger’s grain mill through Facebook)!

I normally get 80% efficiency due to milling my grain. Sometimes a little higher

I’m used to 65-68% efficiencies, and that’s WITH a sparge! I’m now glad I decided just to chuck all of the hops in!

Following on from your initial music link I particularly liked this:
https://youtu.be/tDTQQWSmo8s

Might have to call me stout Whale, oil , beef, Hooked! Now.

I’ve become a bit of an aficionado of Celtic punk over the last 6 month or so, Real McKenzies (I saw them live in front of about 50 people last month), The Mahones and Dropkick Murphys (saw them in June at a sold out show) being my favourites!

I had a sneaky sample of this last night after 3 weeks in the bottle. It’s really nice but there was no head whatsoever. Nothing!

For the 3 minikegs it’s not an issue because my dispenser puts a massive head on everything, but the remaining 4 bottles are meant to go to my mate who gifted me the grain. Hopefully it’s 1) just an issue with the PET bottle, and 2) due to only having 3 weeks in the bottle.

That's odd their's no head. I've been reading about why some fermentations have huge krausen and some don't this morning which also has a direct impact on head formation/retention. The fact you had flaked barley in the recipe should have at least contrbuted to it having at least some head on the beer, if not a good one

That's odd their's no head. I've been reading about why some fermentations have huge krausen and some don't this morning which also has a direct impact on head formation/retention. The fact you had flaked barley in the recipe should have at least contrbuted to it having at least some head on the beer, if not a good one

I know, it’s a mystery. I had a thought that I think Mrs Dundee washed my tulip glass last time I used it so there’s a possibility it may have just not been rinsed properly.

Latest posts

Back