TC with ordinary wine yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Im considering trying my first Turbo Cider, a simple apple only job to start, want to aim for a 'medium-sweet' if possible (for the wife)

I can of course get everything I need locally, apart from cider yeast.

Im wondering what the difference would be if I just used the general purpose wine yeast I have in stock?

What starting gravity/sugar total, and what FG should I be aiming for?

You can do it with normal wine yeast and I have before. It just comes out very dry but that maybe your likening. Are you going for fizzy or flat ? Mine tend to stop somewhere between 1.000 and 1.010 but I’m using Cider yeast with sweetener.
You can of course back sweeten with sugar free/artificial sweetener .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, since its for the missus it needs to be reasonably sweet, and carbonated.

I think to be safe I'll wait until I can get some cider yeast. Im in an awkward location - the nearest homebrew shop costs me about the same in fuel to get to as their postage!

edit - ah, turns out the 'standard' postage doesnt apply to yeast sachets! Plenty on order now!

Hmm, since its for the missus it needs to be reasonably sweet, and carbonated.

I think to be safe I'll wait until I can get some cider yeast. Im in an awkward location - the nearest homebrew shop costs me about the same in fuel to get to as their postage!

edit - ah, turns out the 'standard' postage doesnt apply to yeast sachets! Plenty on order now!

Get yourself on eBay. I get cider yeast with sweetener included.

Get yourself on eBay. I get cider yeast with sweetener included.

Can you provide a link/item number?

I did look on ebay but im very dubious about quality of things like this bought that way (I sell electronic/comms equipment on ebay and buy a lot of electronic parts, so I know just how much on there is junk), but am open to suggestions of reputable sellers,

If you have a hydrometer just use wine yeast and stop at 1000, should be fine.

wouldnt stopping a wine yeast at 1000 then preclude carbonating in bottle? Im presuming 'stopping' using sorbate etc rather than an 'engineered' stop by limiting the sugars

Can you provide a link/item number?

I did look on ebay but im very dubious about quality of things like this bought that way (I sell electronic/comms equipment on ebay and buy a lot of electronic parts, so I know just how much on there is junk), but am open to suggestions of reputable sellers,

Cider Yeast 25L with sweetener for Homebrew Cidermaking https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281428703337

wouldnt stopping a wine yeast at 1000 then preclude carbonating in bottle? Im presuming 'stopping' using sorbate etc rather than an 'engineered' stop by limiting the sugars

You would stop using a suitable stopper like you say.
Obviously you can't stop it if you want carbonated cider as it kills the yeast.

You would stop using a suitable stopper like you say.
Obviously you can't stop it if you want carbonated cider as it kills the yeast.

Yes, thats my problem. It has to be nice and fizzy as its for the missus. I myself also though am not keen on flat cider - a remnant of an experience as a teenager with a pint of 'bulmers traditional' :sick:

Latest posts

Back