How to make a twin coil immersion chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMAG0134.jpg

Just thought i'd post this i made earlier today. That's if i've followed the "How to upload photo's" thread properly.
Saw this fantastic thread during the week so i decided to have a go.
It fits into a 10 gal homemade plastic boiler that's why it's so squat.
Never soldered before so it isn't the tidiest. It leaked at first but i sorted that with a little more heat to the pre- soldered joints.
I got all the joints etc from B&Q. The inner coil was a chiller i bought off Fleabay last Xmas and i managed to get a 6 meter offcut for the outer off ebay as well so all in all it's cost me about £50 but it'll last a few years hopefully, that's if i don't die of solder poisoning first!
Thanks for this great "How to" Bigyin

For my sins I'm presenting a brief demo on buidling these chillers at a Scottish Craft Brewers meeting tomorrow - lucky me :lol:

Love it, this is my next project.

I can't seem to find the Hose connectors anywhere and the Screwfix links on BigYin's first posts don't seem to work.

Could anyone point me at where to get them?

Thanks

Edit: don't worry - me numpty!

It's a 15mm to 3/4" Straight Adaptor, then you screw on the Brass Male Hose adaptor to the 3/4" thread, right?

Lovely job. I'm about to do something similiar (I hope) but using a 22mm to 2 x 10mm manifold at the ends. My instinct is to run the cold in the top of both coils - the hot wort rising ideally. However a few of the twin coil immersion coolers seem to have the water circulating in opposite directions in each coil. Any advantages before I get brazing ?

I'm making one for someone just now, but then I'm out of copper and was planning to give it a bit of a rest for a while.....

If the one I'm making isn't bought I'll let you know :thumb:

Cheers.

I am not making any guarantees at this stage as to whether i wuold buy it, but if the postage isn't too crippling then i will be interested :thumb:

Hi BigYin,

This looks like a great How To, so I am going to give it a go. Just a quick question before I go down to get the parts.

I am thinking about setting up a keg boiler and I wondered if 10m of 10mm copper coil would be enough to do the double coil? I have found the coil for £15.95 which seems like a great price but I see you used 12m. At such a good price it would be a shame not too but I am a bit worried that it will be to small for a keg.

Your thoughts???

:cheers:

I'd say go for it - Just get your formers sorted and work out how many coils you can get - you'll end up with a few less obviously, but it'll work out fine I'm sure.

BigYin said:
I'd say go for it - Just get your formers sorted and work out how many coils you can get - you'll end up with a few less obviously, but it'll work out fine I'm sure.

Cheers I'm on it tomorrow :thumb:

Well as I said I had a go but I changed my mind with regards to the soldering :oops: it was just to much set up cost to buy a torch, flux and solder on top of all that copper tube. So I went with compression fittings and came up with this.
d45cee03.jpg

This is me doing the water test :thumb:

Just a quick thanks for this how to. I made one today, and Tis a beauty. Next week is my first AG brew, so all set now.
Cheers :drunk:

This thread has got me thinking. :grin:
As mentioned above the initial cooling will take a while because of the temp of the wort.
I am thinking on the lines of using copper car brake pipe and several coils connected to a couple of matrix outlet/inlets.
My thinking being that the copper wall to water flow will give a much greater cooling effect.
You could probably be able to do seamless connected coils that could fit inside each other to increase surface area yet again.
The water flow will then be far more efficient as more of it will be in contact with the copper wall.
A bit like a car radiator in reverse. Guess who has six rolls of this stuff in his shed. :twisted:
I also have several rubber car brake lines that just happen to have Metric threads to connect to standard plumbing fittings.

Thanks guys this should be a nice project for when spring eventually arrives and the permafrost has melted from the shed lock.

PS: how do you guys sterilise these things to enable them to go in the wort?
Is it just a case of popping it into the last 10 minutes of the boil?
Regards Tony

tonybaloni said:
PS: how do you guys sterilise these things to enable them to go in the wort?
Is it just a case of popping it into the last 10 minutes of the boil?
Regards Tony
Yup, just make sure it is clean first :thumb:

Back