Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Recipes > Apple Cider Recipe Wanted

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 20-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Jaffa91
New Cider Brewer

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just a little update. I went with a 60:40 mix and batch is now fermenting. Tasted very nice and took a hydrometer reading. Will see how it turns out at the end and if it's worthy I'll type up a full recipe for others to try.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
Peregrinus

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been wanting to make some apple wine so asked about for apples and I now have 10kg of them (mainly cookers I think). So now I am thinking about cider as I can probably get more apples. Is it really as simple as juicing, adding yeast and fermenting out? That sounds just too simple to be true! I can get myself a barrel (I am thinking of getting into beer at some stage anyway) from Wilko's for this. Just need to look at how to juice apples as I don't have a press at the moment. I will be short on juice so can supermarket juice be used to make up the difference?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
freester

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Just need to look at how to juice apples as I don't have a press at the moment.
This is the potentially expensive bit. You need to pulp / 'scrat' the apples before pressing. Old school is to pulp the apples with a big piece of wood and the apples in a bucket. Slow, hard work. There are guides online on homemade presses and scratters.

I bought a press and use an old garden shredder to pulp the apples.

Old 18-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #14
bugs

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Another option for making a more west/hereford cider from mainly dessert fruit may be add a small percentage of crabs/wildings - you know, the small buggers which grow in hedgerows - try them and you'll see how sharp and bitter (mouth puckering) they are. But depends what you're after - east UK tend to brew more dessert based ciders, compared with the 'proper' stuff over this side.

I've pressed a couple of gallons of crabs as an experiment and doing most of my ferments without any yeast or other additions this year. I doubt the crab cider will be drinkable on its own, but I've heard of people using it as a special note in blends.
(wondering whether maceration of crabs may be good too - scratting then leaving overnight before pressing - so maybe I'll do another gallon or two to compare)

Old 18-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #15
Deltabrew

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Just need to look at how to juice apples as I don't have a press at the moment. I will be short on juice so can supermarket juice be used to make up the difference?
Yes you can use supermarket juice as long as its 100% juice.
If you don't want to get involved with presses then pick up a juicer locally on Ebay/Gumtree. There are thousands of them for sale, just make sure it's min 1000w. There is one near me now, used twice; �£15 or make an offer.

If your apples aren't ripe, but are on the ground pick them up and lay them in the sun, they'll ripen some more. We got some boxes of green windfalls a couple of weeks ago, they're now red.

Everyones taste is different, some people like the proper stuff which is too harsh for me, I use a yeast with sweetener. It makes for an interesting taste, you can sense the sour and dryness, but also the sweetness over the top, it's like a multilayered taste sensation.