Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > BeerCat Brewday

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #61
BeerCat

Liked 660 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 945

MJ's M29 Saison yeast has amazing attenuation. 1053 to 1002 6.7% fermented at 27c. Looking forward to trying this!

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 20-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #62
BeerCat

Getting a Black Kolsch on the go today.

5kg crisp extra pale malt
200g melanoidin malt
250g Caraffa3

Saaz and Hallertau hops to about 25 IBU aiming for 5%ABV and using CML Kolsch yeast slurry.

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel
Dads_Ale Likes This 
Old 23-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #63
BeerCat

Final recipe for my black kolsch, took off like a rocket so fingers crossed

5kg crisp extra pale malt
200g melanoidin malt
250g Caraffa3
100g torrified wheat

20g challenger @60
10g saaz @15
25g hallertau @15
20g saaz @0
30g hallertau @0
CML Kosch yeast slurry

MyQul Likes This 
Old 23-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #64
Hoddy

Liked 352 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
MJ's M29 Saison yeast has amazing attenuation. 1053 to 1002 6.7% fermented at 27c. Looking forward to trying this!

I have a keg full of my American saison (which I've used MJ29 on for the first time) conditioning in my kegerator for the 2 weeks while I'm on holibobs.

I'm looking forward to testing that bad boy out when I get home.

Swap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.

Old 24-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #65
BeerCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
I have a keg full of my American saison (which I've used MJ29 on for the first time) conditioning in my kegerator for the 2 weeks while I'm on holibobs.

I'm looking forward to testing that bad boy out when I get home.

Swap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would love to. Will DM you my address. Cheers Hoddy.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #66
BeerCat

Started out doing a pale ale yesterday and ended up doing a barley wine. I was fiddling around with the PID and ended up boiling the mash after 1 hour. I was going to ditch it but the wort tasted fine so i made a BW instead.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #67
BeerCat

Brew 182 the accidental barley wine seemed to of been fermenting very slowly. I thought it must be a leak so i left it and hoped for the best. I came into the garage today and its going nuts. This will be interesting i did open it up once to take a peek and saw a small krausen but did not take a sample. Another thing i did was to pour 300g of sugar into the FV before i pitched, didnt even bother to stir it. If it goes tits up i will start again if not going to rack to DJ's and oak one of them. Any suggestions where to get some oak chips?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #68
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4238 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 4456

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
Brew 182 the accidental barley wine seemed to of been fermenting very slowly. I thought it must be a leak so i left it and hoped for the best. I came into the garage today and its going nuts. This will be interesting i did open it up once to take a peek and saw a small krausen but did not take a sample. Another thing i did was to pour 300g of sugar into the FV before i pitched, didnt even bother to stir it. If it goes tits up i will start again if not going to rack to DJ's and oak one of them. Any suggestions where to get some oak chips?

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Oak-Chips.html

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 11-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #69
BeerCat

Plenty of choice. Have you ever tried them? Was it worth doing?I have no idea whats most suitable. I am going to make a RIS so perhaps whisky chips. Then its how much and for how long. Only oaked 2 wines and i dont think i can notice much. Perhaps too little. Around 10g per 5l.

Old 18-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #70
BeerCat

Default Rye Rye Rye

I have a selection of Rye and i am trying to decide what to brew with it. I am also looking at the grains and thinking something is wrong, the colours dont seem right to me but what do i know. The cararye looks like normal rye? The roasted rye does not look very dark to me either. Anyway saying they are labelled correctly i am thinking of a Rye Kolsch;

4kg extra pale malt
250g roasted rye
250g dark rye
500g flaked rye
150g cararye

Probably going to use Saaz but could do Challenger and EKG instead.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7028.jpg