Ginger beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best tricks i've learned. Steep your ginger in 1L olorosso sherry for 2 weeks before brew day.
And grate your ginger. I know its a pain, but you want as much surface area ad possible.

Steep 5 hot jelapenos chopped in 50ml cheap vodka for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks, start your brew.

Ps. A sherry of 10+ % will kills all bugs, so no boiling is needed.

One of the best tricks i've learned. Steep your ginger in 1L olorosso sherry for 2 weeks before brew day.
And grate your ginger. I know its a pain, but you want as much surface area ad possible.

Wow - now that's something to try. Alas I have neither of those things but have ginger , so will kick off a simple version of this thread recipe and give this ago next batch for sure !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya beast !! Checked this tonight and right down to .996 - tastes sharp and it's got a kick of a mule and as dry as a camels ass !
Best bottle this one up tomorrow and with good dosing of Splenda in each bottle , 2 teaspoons at least !

This one is going to put hairs on tha chest !

Couldn't resist an early try of this - fizz mild but some bubble but I know it's far too early.
It's very gingery but with a bitter lemon taste. Not quite sure what ginger beer tastes like though so difficult to compare . Will buy one tomorrow me thinks !

Couldn't resist an early try of this - fizz mild but some bubble but I know it's far too early.
It's very gingery but with a bitter lemon taste. Not quite sure what ginger beer tastes like though so difficult to compare . Will buy one tomorrow me thinks !

How is it coming along now?

It appears that this can be very dangerous stuff. My very first homebrewing attempt with very little kit. Slightly sweet, very easy to drink and obviously rather potent. Which I didn't notice until I'd had a few glasses. :D

It appears that this can be very dangerous stuff. My very first homebrewing attempt with very little kit. Slightly sweet, very easy to drink and obviously rather potent. Which I didn't notice until I'd had a few glasses. :D

Indeed - by far the most potent of all I've made and definitely one for sipping on hot summer days [emoji41]

Another bottle opened tonight - thoroughly enjoying this.
Going to make another batch for summer.

That sounds good. Do you add the ginger and vodka into the mix as well?

That sounds good. Do you add the ginger and vodka into the mix as well?

Yip. I added the sherry steeped ginger in the beginning, and the chilly infused vodka after fermentation. Add the chilly bit by bit until you have the right amount of spice. You want the ginger to give a nice kick in the back of your throat as you swallow. It should not burn your mouth.

Back