M&S beer selection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their beers are all made by good breweries , I just find them expensive for instance I can get the original Oakhams Citra from B&M for ��£1.79 whereas the rebadged M&S version is ��£2.40. M&S are not cheap.

Just been to M & S and their Citra was actually �£2.50 a bottle so I gave it a swerve. Went down the road to B&M and got 3 bottles at �£1.79 each.

That is 71p or 40% more for the M&S than the original manufacturer.

Can anyone explain to me what they have added to the beer over and above the originator to justify 40% extra?

Thanks for the heads up, don't go into M&S food very often but just happened to be near one on my lunch break today so thought it would be rude to to get a few samples.

Got a 31 hop (yes 31!) IPA which might be interesting as well as the Saison and Salted Caramel Porter mentioned plus a few others.

Thanks for the heads up, don't go into M&S food very often but just happened to be near one on my lunch break today so thought it would be rude to to get a few samples.

Got a 31 hop (yes 31!) IPA which might be interesting as well as the Saison and Salted Caramel Porter mentioned plus a few others.

Let us know how they are.

Really don't like the Sorachi Saison. The black and white IPAs are lovely though. They normally have the Northern Monk New World IPA too, which is the most pungent beer I think I've ever had.

If you're brewing to save money then fair enough but if you're serious about improving the quality then you'll get better faster by comparing your own to the pros.

It's also good to keep trying new things to give you ideas of what to brew.
Esp.a single hop variety which you have never used before and want to know what its like. Just tried the Adnams Mosaic on draught at my local, and fine it was too. so now I know what Mosaic tastes like.

Esp.a single hop variety which you have never used before and want to know what its like. Just tried the Adnams Mosaic on draught at my local, and fine it was too. so now I know what Mosaic tastes like.

Its a very distinctive hop and makes a beer very,very tasty indeed.
Wish my local was like yours 😂

I bought the Salted caramel porter which was lovely, will buy again.

Also went to pick up the white IPA but when I got home I realised it was a English IPA with goldings and fuggles - at least I can compare it against my own.

Really don't like the Sorachi Saison. The black and white IPAs are lovely though. They normally have the Northern Monk New World IPA too, which is the most pungent beer I think I've ever had.

Having tried some of these now I'm with you on the Sorachi Saison, not that pleasant had a chemically / odd taste to it, wasn't undrinkable but I won't be buying it again.

The black IPA was nice though I'm not really familiar with the style, think I was expecting more hops but the malt came through more with that chocolate undertone that you get in dark beers. Enjoyed it though as it's the sort of beer I like anyway.

The 31 Hop IPA has been the highlight so far, nice citrus flavours without being too full on. I tried either the Cascade or Mosaic, can't remember which at the moment but I have the other left to try this weekend along with the salted caramel porter.

sorachi ace saison perchance?

that was weird but then I decided I liked it :twisted:

Just been to M & S and their Citra was actually ��£2.50 a bottle so I gave it a swerve. Went down the road to B&M and got 3 bottles at ��£1.79 each.

That is 71p or 40% more for the M&S than the original manufacturer.

Can anyone explain to me what they have added to the beer over and above the originator to justify 40% extra?

They've added that special M&S ingredient....profit!

Think I tried that on draft in a youngs pub. If it was the same one, there was too much rye. It was too spicy for my tastes

It is pretty spicy, but while not subtle I don't find it overpowering. Certainly in the same ballpark as some of the American rye IPAs, and nowhere near a roggenbier. I'm brewing my first rye beer on Monday, and if it ends up close to any of those I'll be happy.

I've tried a few of these over the last few days. The Mosaic pale has been the stand out beer so far. I enjoyed the Amarillo pale too from Meantime but the hopping felt a bit mean, if you'll excuse the pun.

I'm a massive fan of Simcoe but I was a bit disappointed by the Butcombe Simcoe pale. It was way too sweet finishing which I found really off putting. I was quite surprised that it made such a difference but it meant none of the dank qualities that I think Simcoe has came through.

I did really enjoy the Jester IPA. It's not a hop I've tried before but I definitely will seek it out. 100% the fruitiest English hop I've tried. I really picked up the tropical fruit notes.

I've still got a Summit IPA to try. Again not a hop I'm familiar with.

Latest posts

Back