AG No. 4. BBN Citra Saison Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Having a go at this today:

From the book Craft Brew by Euan Ferguson.

For a 20.5L batch

OG 1.044 FG 1.002 ABV 5.5%

Grain Bill

1.35 kg Maris Otter (low colour) Pale Malt
1.08 kg Pilsner Malt
0.810 kg Wheat Malt
0.270 kg Flaked Wheat

Mash @ 65’c for 60 mins

Hops

Hallertau Magnum 5g @ 60 minutes (Substituted Columbus as Magnum unavailable from Geterbrewed)
Citra 10g @ 10 mins
Citra 10g @ 5 mins
Citra 50g @ Flameout, steep for 10 mins before chilling

Yeast

Belle Saison

Ferment 24’c hold for 48 hours, then allow to free rise if possible (I’m going to raise by 1’c per day for three days) then maintain at 27’c.

Other ingredients

180g Dextrose (add slowly as wort comes to the boil)

10g Cracked Coriander seeds, boil for 5 minutes. Am adding 3g of Peppercorns as well at the same time.

No mention of CO2 volumes in the recipe, but thinking around 2.7 volumes of CO2 from a bit of digging about.

Fingers crossed.

Having a go at this today:

From the book Craft Brew by Euan Ferguson.

For a 20.5L batch

OG 1.044 FG 1.002 ABV 5.5%

Grain Bill

1.35 kg Maris Otter (low colour) Pale Malt
1.08 kg Pilsner Malt
0.810 kg Wheat Malt
0.270 kg Flaked Wheat

Mash @ 65’c for 60 mins

Hops

Hallertau Magnum 5g @ 60 minutes (Substituted Columbus as Magnum unavailable from Geterbrewed)
Citra 10g @ 10 mins
Citra 10g @ 5 mins
Citra 50g @ Flameout, steep for 10 mins before chilling

Yeast

Belle Saison

Ferment 24’c hold for 48 hours, then allow to free rise if possible (I’m going to raise by 1’c per day for three days) then maintain at 27’c.

Other ingredients

180g Dextrose (add slowly as wort comes to the boil)

10g Cracked Coriander seeds, boil for 5 minutes. Am adding 3g of Peppercorns as well at the same time.

No mention of CO2 volumes in the recipe, but thinking around 2.7 volumes of CO2 from a bit of digging about.

Fingers crossed.
Checking with brewer's friend I'm getting 1.041 that's 70% efficiency and @1.002 giving 95% attenuation.
If I had that all the time just think of the extra brews you'd have and save a pound or two.
Seems a cracking brew and with them figures 🍺👍

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Here's some pics while she comes to the boil.

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

All done. Got 22L in the FV. But... OG was 1.033! Was predicted 1.043, so I need it to go all the way down to 1.002 to get 4%. Ballix!

Any ideas why?

You've gone over volume in the fermenter, that'll have brought it down a bit.

Edited to add: Just checked the book (it's a 20l recipe, not 20.5) and you're 2 litres (10%) over the FV volume which will account for around 4 points, I think. The rest is probably lower efficiency.

Yes. When I put the 22L batch volume into Brewsmith it then predicts an OG of 1.039, so I'm still well below that.

Oh well. Sure it will still taste nice.

I'm sure it will taste good, this beer was on my "to make list" that I had forgotten about, think ill make it next week now so cheers for reminding me:cheers:

The Belle Saison had it down to 1.002 after just a week in the FV. Going to leave it another week to clean up and then bottle. Tasted a drop when measuring the gravity. Clean, crisp, dry as, can really taste the Citra, not too much spice, but that may develop. A little thin tasting but not surprising given the amount I missed my OG by, a nice high carbonation may help I guess.

I plan to do this beer very soon. Although maybe might do the magnum first addition as a FWH. What do you guys reckon?

Belle saison is a machine last time I used it the FG was 1.001!

I plan to do this beer very soon. Although maybe might do the magnum first addition as a FWH. What do you guys reckon?

Belle saison is a machine last time I used it the FG was 1.001!

As long as you run it through some software and get the ibu's you want it should be fine.
I just made a version, but used a mixture of citra and centennial as I only 50g of citra and also added 2% acidulated malt. Fingers crossed it comes out well.

This came out lovely. After two weeks in the bottle nice crisp beer, got a bit of musky spice from the yeast and the Citra is there, though more subtle than I expected. This may go quickly.

This came out lovely. After two weeks in the bottle nice crisp beer, got a bit of musky spice from the yeast and the Citra is there, though more subtle than I expected. This may go quickly.

That's good to hear! My next brew will be based on the BBN recipe in that book. Would you make any tweaks?

Ordered ingredients for this. Might dry hop 50g extra though. Also subbed flaked wheat for torrified.

Plan to use Belle Saison as its a very good dry yeast.

Ordered ingredients for this. Might dry hop 50g extra though. Also subbed flaked wheat for torrified.

Plan to use Belle Saison as its a very good dry yeast.

That's a great idea, I think that this would be improved with a more upfront hoppiness, though it's nice as it is. I thought if I did it again I'd dry hop it.

Did anyone do a 90 minute boil when brewing this? Just thinking of DMS and the Pilsner malt

Brewing this as we speak. Mashed at 65c no problems there. Gone for 60 minute boil. Will dry hop with 60g of Citra after four days fermentation. Can't wait to drink this already!

Latest posts

Back