Woodfordes nog tweak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning guys

I plan to make a woodfordes nog to be ready for the Xmas period, does anyone have any tweaks to make this great kit just that bit special.?

Cheers

It's quite good on it's own to be honest, it's a nice matly brew so wouldn't neccessarily benefit from additional hops. If you did want to add some hops, 20-30g Bramling Cross goes well with dark beers and imparts a sort-of blackcurrant flavour. Either steep in hot water for 30mins <80C, and use to make up the kit, or dry hop towards the end of fermentation.

I usually brew these kits a bit short for more flavour and strength, 20 or 21L rather than 23L. And that kit does benefit from a decent ageing period, I drank mine too early and it was only coming good at the end. So brew it now and put it away for Xmas.

Weight the yeast packet that came with it - it's probably a 7g packet, which is too small for a 23L brew. This si why some people report stuck brews with Woodforde's kits. You can either take a chance (keep the fermenting temp up around 20C) or replace it with a proper 11g packet of yeast, Wilko's Gervin yeast will do, or something similar
http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-gervin-english-ale-yeast-11g/invt/0318922

Perfect I've got loads of the wilko yeast packets , I panic bought them all when u thought they were doing away with homebrew, and brew to 21 litres ,

Morning guys

I plan to make a woodfordes nog to be ready for the Xmas period, does anyone have any tweaks to make this great kit just that bit special.?

Cheers

I also brewed mine short (21 ltr) and added half a tin of black treacle and a bar of cadbury's bourneville. It came out very nice, but I've never made it just plain, so I can't compare really wether it's an improvement or not...:doh:

I also brewed mine short (21 ltr) and added half a tin of black treacle and a bar of cadbury's bourneville. It came out very nice, but I've never made it just plain, so I can't compare really wether it's an improvement or not...:doh:

How did u add bourneville,

How did u add bourneville,

I had a stuck ferment at the usual 1.020. I collected a pint or so of wort, carefully warmed and melted the chocolate over a saucepan of water, mixed the wort with it and returned the whole lot to the FV. Stirred it with a sterilized long-handled spatula. Added a new pack of Wilco's ale yeast.
I was trying to create a clone of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. But, it definitely needed more chocolate...! :doh:

Hi all,
I always have a keg of Nog for the winter but have never tinkered with it. I have a Yorkshire bitter dry hopped with bramling cross conditioning, and that blackcurrant flavour really does come through- if you go that route would be eager to hear how that works.
A slightly off topic thing about Nog- it makes the most excellent beef and ale stews!

Reading this thread makes me want to do another Nog, I last brewed it in 2012. How would you define it - is it a Porter or just a dark ale? I know mine tasted like a Stout initially but became much more rounded as it matured.

Reading this thread makes me want to do another Nog, I last brewed it in 2012. How would you define it - is it a Porter or just a dark ale? I know mine tasted like a Stout initially but became much more rounded as it matured.

Good question. I think it's a bit fuller than most dark of old ales I've had, but less Smokey than a lot of porters.

Mine's gone now, but I think I remember it tasting more like a chocolate stout that wasn't very chocolatey....if you get my drift...! :hat:

Latest posts

Back