MJ Yeast in Recipe Pack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello,

Someone gave me a GEB all grain recipe pack which comes with 2 packs of MJ44 California Ale yeast. The OG is 1.055 and usually for beers of this strength I'd use one sachet rehydrated. Is this just GEB trying to insure best results possible by including 2 sachets to get a good cell count, or is there actually a difference between using one rehydrated sachet?

thanks.

Thats a surprise. I've used MJ Calilager yeast a couple of times (I've a 5L stove topper Noble hops pale waiting to be packaged) and I'd be happy to use just the one pack for that OG with this yeast

This has been a lively debate, but I think I'll rehydrate one sachet and keep the other one for spares.

I'd do the same if I was sent two packets in the kit. I really quite like this yeast, it's malty and really makes the hops stand out. Its a slow starter out of the packet but if you reuse it, it seems to start off fine

I'd do the same if I was sent two packets in the kit. I really quite like this yeast, it's malty and really makes the hops stand out. Its a slow starter out of the packet but if you reuse it, it seems to start off fine

I've used it a couple of times before but was also using US-05 in another batch, and lately I've got quite a few of my batches confused, especially as I reused the yeasts, I'm not sure what is what now. I've invested in a chalk board so I can write down what's in what fermenter.

Back