HOW TO VIDEOS: Thermopot Mash Tun Conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturals

Reaction score
The first (hopefully in a small series I'm going to make) of simple DIY conversions.

I'd also be really grateful for a view, comment, like or subscribe. Also suggestions for future videos always gratefully received (STC1000 wiring, fermentation fridge, etc).

I'll be adding a components list to the video over the coming days. Any more feedback on how to make the video more user friendly muchly appreciated.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65HWlEoK8w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65HWlEoK8w[/ame]

One of the most relaxing videos i've watched in so long! Therapy for an engineer smooth builds and that :)

Quality vid looking forward to watching more

I liked it. I wish I could get those insulated pots here. That would rule!!!

congrats on a great vid and build, I found it necessary to use a belt sander to grind of the last few mm of the thru the deck fitting and the 'top' end of its receiving elbow to create a level dropping drain, and to fit the plumbing within the base cavity..

15250568181_fbde2a76fc.jpg

As the insulation and base depth can vary from pot to pot it might be worth including in the vid as some folk following it may get stumped when thier plumbing stands proud of the base rim.

Also you kinda skipped over the alignment of fittings when using PTFE as a seal, Stainless steel will shred the ptfe as its tightened, so if you over turn and attempt to back turn to align you stand a high probability of not maintaining a seal.

A simple trick is to mate the threaded parts dry counting the revolutions till they mesh tight call this The Count, then wrap with tape and rescrew The Count -2 or 3 turns and then align the fittings knowing you have room to tighten and maintain a good seal.

unlike brass or mild steel you cant just apply a bit more oomph or torque to SS it wont give but if you apply too much it can seal tight and be a right pita to part again.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It wasn't intended as a 100% blow by blow account of how to make a mash tun, simply because I figured it'd be bloody boring to watch (!) and that most people who brew and are prepared to make their own gear would probably be able to figure out how much of the elbow / deck drain needs to come off on their own (plus it may differ from my own dims).

For the record - I did trim the elbow down a little but later found out I didn't actually need to (hence it not being shown in the video). The deck drain itself had something like 7mm trimmed off the thread (YMMV).

Latest posts

Back