Dishwasher ~ no head?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fnar fnar.

But seriously, I've recently moved and now have, for the first time, a dishwasher. It's great (I really despise washing up) but I've noticed that bottled beers now have even less head than before, sometimes none whatsoever.

Anything I can do? I use all in one tabs, will things improve with rinse aid?

:hmm:Do you hold back all your empties to clean all in one go:-o.
Why not just wash/rinse out the empty bottle in the sink with clean water asap after consuming said beer and leave to drain,soooooooooooooooooo easy!!!!

Doesn't do it to my glasses, I always get a good head. Maybe it's the brand you're using; I used to use Finish tablets but changed to Sainsbury's own brand ones, either way I don't have a problem getting a head on my homebrew.

Easy enough to find out if it's the beer or the dishwasher, just try a commercially produced bottle and see if it behaves the same.

I tend to wash my glasses by hand but there are occasions that swmbo does them in the dishwasher and I don't notice the difference, we use fairy tablets and Lidl rinse aid and their salt

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are clean before you put them in (which they should be) do no, do not, do not, use a dish washer tab, and I assure you the problem will be solved.

We had a dishwasher ages ago but I divorced her. But seriously... ours made glassware go cloudy over time, a result I believe of the abrasive quality of dishwasher tablets and salt. The resulting super-fine scratches in the glaze will rapidly de-gas your beer and kill the head. I got that problem but not since going back to washing pots by hand. Maybe some brands are ok.

We had a dishwasher ages ago but I divorced her. But seriously... ours made glassware go cloudy over time, a result I believe of the abrasive quality of dishwasher tablets and salt. The resulting super-fine scratches in the glaze will rapidly de-gas your beer and kill the head. I got that problem but not since going back to washing pots by hand. Maybe some brands are ok.

Thought it was the water that did that.

see my post...just don't put any tabs in...smoke 'em:doh:

Back