AG Brew day #7 Pliny the elder clone.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Having a crack at a Pliny the Elder Clone today. Got the recipe from here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/russian-river-pliny-the-elder-clone/

Have adjusted for my kit and efficiency. Have weighed all the hop additions out like a good boy, smells great in here already!

IMG_2968.jpg

Good luck, that's on my ever expanding to do list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only the first litre or so today so came through clear quickly. I always do it till it runs clear though I've read others saying they aren't that fussy.

Usually 2 - 3 litres is enough.

Also purchased this, one of those frying pan guards, after seeing someone use one in a youtube video. Just hold it whilst recirculating wort/sparging, does the trick nicely.

IMG_2973.jpg

Hope it turned out well. What batch size did you do and if you are happy to share your hop bill?

Hope it turned out well. What batch size did you do and if you are happy to share your hop bill?

So far so good, fermenting like billy-o. Here you go. 23l.

Ingredients:

7.5 kg Maris Otter
350g Carapils
350g Pale Crystal Malt
418g Dextrose
136g Simcoe Pellets 2016 12% AA
63g Centennial Pellets 2016 9.3% AA
165g Columbus Pellets 2016 14.1% AA
5g Irish Moss
2 packets of Safale 05

90 minute boil with the following additions:

107 g Columbus hops, 13.9% a.a. (90 min)
23 g Columbus hops, 13.9% a.a. (45 min)
30 g Simcoe hops, 12.3% a.a. (30 min)
28 g Centennial hops, 8% a.a. (0 min)
71 g Simcoe hops, 12.3% a.a. (0 min)

Will move to secondary fermenter and dry hop as follows:

28 g Columbus* hops, 13.9% a.a. (dry hop, 12-14 days total)
28 g Centennial hops, 9.1% a.a. (dry hop, 12-14 days total)
28 g Simcoe hops, 12.3% a.a. (dry hop, 12-14 days total)
7 g Columbus* hops, 13.9% a.a. (dry hop, 5 days to go in dry hop)
7 g Centennial hops, 9.1% a.a. (dry hop, 5 days to go in dry hop)
7 g Simcoe hops, 12.3% a.a. (dry hop, 5 days to go in dry hop)

These were all adjusted from the original recipe for my efficiency (or lack of)

Thanks, so you followed the clone recipe faithfully. I'm a bit baffled by the hop weights and the IBU count in the article.

Thanks, so you followed the clone recipe faithfully. I'm a bit baffled by the hop weights and the IBU count in the article.

The IBU in the article recipe is measured, I get 170 in Beersmith, which I've read is not that accurate over a certain IBU level, so I'm going with the article!

Yeh I put it into Beersmith and got north of 200. I guess there's a reduced amount of extraction when you add so many hops.

Bottled last Sunday, and couldn't wait so cracked one tonight (Friday). Was pretty well carbed.

I have no idea if it's anything like the real thing, but it's very nice already. Could smell grapefruit as I poured it, dank to taste initially then tropical fruit/lychees. Bitter but soft with it.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

IMG_3048.jpg

It's interesting how trends change in beer. When I started brewing a few year's ago, Pliny was held up as the ultimate IPA. Looking at the hop schedule, it is very heavily weighted towards bittering hops and the dry hop amounts actually look quite modest when you compare to the current trend for NEIPA. Lots of those are reported to have no bittering hops, or even having many hops added before flameout with hundreds of grams going in as dry hops.

It's interesting how trends change in beer. When I started brewing a few year's ago, Pliny was held up as the ultimate IPA. Looking at the hop schedule, it is very heavily weighted towards bittering hops and the dry hop amounts actually look quite modest when you compare to the current trend for NEIPA. Lots of those are reported to have no bittering hops, or even having many hops added before flameout with hundreds of grams going in as dry hops.

Yes, funnily enough, I'm drinking another one of these now as I read your post. It is very bitter, but it's not harsh. I have no idea if it's like the real thing.

I've been thinking about doing an NEIPA, based on this: http://homebrewacademy.com/denali-single-hop-ipa/ So in that one, which I don't think is typical, there's quite a large amount of first wort hops which will remain in during the boil as well, so looking at an IBU of c70. But then yes, look at the steep & dry hop amounts.

Latest posts

Back