Anyone use yeast nutrient?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fermentations generally start within 1 hour. Thats with dry yeast straight from the pack. I never used to bother looking before i started using nutrient though so i can say for sure if its faster.
As to what's in it "Wyeast Labs' proprietary blend of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, nitrogen compounds, zinc, and trace elements necessary for rapid and complete fermentation."

Nope, but having read this thread and just running a mild from the boiler to the FV right now, I'm gonna chuck in some Tronozymol I use for wine. Don't expect, or necessarily want it to make a difference but what the hell.

For all-grain brewers using good malts and an in-date yeast prepared according to the manufacturer's instructions nutrient is a waste of money. I can see how it might help when you're doing a kit with LME and yeast that you've no idea how and when it was made.

Pick up this old thread. I'm brewing the Cashmere DDH recipe from Malt Miller.

It uses Kveik yeast at 35c so is a strong fermentation. The recipe calls for "Boil additions: 10 mins Yeast Nutrient x 2"

What does that mean? I would usually not use any nutrient so x2 means nothing to me. The nutrient pot says 1tsp/gallon but that is for wine which usually has far less natural nutrient than beer. I read a lot of you go with 1tsp/5gallon batch under general circumstances. Maybe I need to add 2tsp?

I now use yeast nutrient in all my beers. If it's not necessary, then it doesn't do any harm either. i used to get a lot of yeast stink, but since I started using nutrient (40-50 brews ago) I've never had it. Wine or beer yeast nutrient, it's all the same to me.

I use about ¾ to 1 tsp full in 20 litres. I don't bother measuring it. Yeah, or I could just chuck in some old trub at the end of the boil but dipping a teaspoon into a tub of powder is so much easier.

Welp, unless anyone explains otherwise I'll add 2tsp for this beer. 1tsp / gallon seems excessive for beer.

The partridge brothers on you tube recommend pure brew from dark rock and have a sachet of in each on there kits, which has nutrient and water treatment as well

The partridge brothers on you tube recommend pure brew from dark rock and have a sachet of in each on there kits, which has nutrient and water treatment as well
Looked at my comments on yeast nutrient from yesterday and might seem Misleading , the packet of pure brew that comes with all their beer kits has yeast nutrient and water treatment combined and appears to work really well. You can also purchase pure brew in tubs also 👍

I use the malt miller repack of this SERVOMYCES | Lallemand Brewing

You use 0.01g per litre, so the repack of 30g lasts for many years.

I'd just double that dose for kviek, although I am unsure what nutrients they actually need over normal beer yeasts.

The problem with using wine nutrients and the usual homebrew nutrients is that they tend to be DAP based which is not what you want for most beers. See this
https://www.brewersjournal.info/free-amino-nitrogen/

Last edited:
I use yeast nutrient when I expect the yeast can use some extra help: lagers and imperial strength brews. I also use nutrient when the yeast specifcally calls for it; Kveik and Belgian yeasts have a big appetite for FAN. Lastly I use it in ciders to lessen the sulphur creation.

I sometimes also forget and things tend to work out just fine. It's not that it's needed to homebrew a beer but it does lead to easier fermentations and that's part of the hobby for me.

I usually use it, one of these "out of habit" things aimed at eliminating a problem that may or may not be there..... However I have run out recently and find myself questioning, why are some of them added at rates like 0.01g/l and the ones I had were basically lob in a full teaspoon per gallon?

Anyway, all I have to add is that I got an email from CML which came from WHC Labs recommending heavy nutrient use with kviek (It was Ubbe specifically) and more so if at the lower end of the temp range.

Latest posts

Back