Dry Hop IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
My next brew is going to be an IPA which I may be dry hopping. Would it be best to add the hops at the start of fermentation or at a later stage (and f so when)?
The hops will most likely be Nelson Sauvin, prob about 30g as that's what I've prob got left.....

Different ways of doing it. New to it too so I added after racking to secondary, and that should work, but an article about it can be found here. Quite educational and complete!

Dry hops are usually added after fermentation because the CO2 created can scrub out hop aroma. When fermentation is complete, chuck in the hops and leave it for 3-7 days. I love Nelson Sauvin, 30g is a fairly small dry hop, but it will improve the hoppy aroma some.

Thanks, will try that! I know it's fairly small but wanted to try it out and maybe ramp it up next time if I like the results!

And I've only got a small amount of NS hops left, lol

I prefer to rack onto the hops in the secondary. 5 days for my taste. Never at start of fermentation or all those lovely aromas will just float away out your airlock!!! Bottle or keg immediately at end of dry hop period.

Back