Cryo Red IPA indecision

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
This is next up in the brewing schedule and I'm being indecisive about what type of IPA to make.

The plan is to dose a few bottles with some canberry essence for the November seasonal comp, but also have some tasty un-cranberried red IPA to quaff.

What do reckon would work best with the cranberries?

a low IBU, NE style IPA, with naked malted oats
or
a higher IBU West Coast style IPA (with or without the oats)

For a 24L batch with my low BIAB efficiency I'm gonna be using:

6kg Bestmalz Red X malt
upto 1 kg naked malted oats

CO2 hop extract for bittering - if required
100g Cascade (12.8% AA) cryo hops
50g Citra (24% AA) cryo hops.

Bearing in mind they're meant to be approx twice as potent as pellets, I was thinking of going with:-

25g cascade & 12.5g citra @ 5mins
25g cascade & 12.5g citra - steep post boil @ 65C
50g cascade & 25g citra - dry hop

with enough CO2 extract @ 60mins to get the bitterness right for the style I plump for.

I've not used the CO2 extract or cryo hops before, so any advice/experience with these anyone can share would be much appreciated.

:cheers:

I wish i could advise on the cryo hops. My first attempt using them has not been good. That is nothing to do with the hops, they smell amazing i must of screwed something else up. I dry hopped in a DJ and i agitated it to get them to drop before cold crashing. Not sure if thats necessary but i think i read they need less time to do their thing and i heard if you dont get it all out you can end up with a gritty beer.
Just done a stout using naked oats, my first time. As far as i know they are a form of crystal so maybe 1kg is too much? Anyway good luck with it. Good to see people trying out these new hops as they do smell(and look) incredible. :)

I know what I would do, but I am judging that comp so I don't think I should prejudice myself by answering your question! Nice hop choice though and I think they'll work well with the cranberry

I wish i could advise on the cryo hops. My first attempt using them has not been good. That is nothing to do with the hops, they smell amazing i must of screwed something else up. I dry hopped in a DJ and i agitated it to get them to drop before cold crashing. Not sure if thats necessary but i think i read they need less time to do their thing and i heard if you dont get it all out you can end up with a gritty beer.
Just done a stout using naked oats, my first time. As far as i know they are a form of crystal so maybe 1kg is too much? Anyway good luck with it. Good to see people trying out these new hops as they do smell(and look) incredible. :)

Thanks - my main concern is using them in the kettle, as normal pellet hops clog the bazooka filter something rotten - I'm guessing the cryo pellets break down to a finer powder so not sure how this will go. Might have to get the hop spider out of retirement.
Will have to check on the oats - I thought they were just malted oats without the husks??

I cant advise about filtering as i do no chill and pour it out of the pot the next day. I did use pellets as well but everything had settled normally by the next day. When i was draining the wort i had to stop using a filter as would block evey time(with pellets). I suspect if you chill and whirlpool you will be probably be ok without a filter though.
Are you using golden naked oats or malted oats? The former are crystal "Huskless oat crystal malt. Exotic ingredient for subtle nutty difference.
Colour EBC 10-20".

I know what I would do, but I am judging that comp so I don't think I should prejudice myself by answering your question! Nice hop choice though and I think they'll work well with the cranberry

Having cracked a keg of NEIPA last might I think my mind is made up!

I cant advise about filtering as i do no chill and pour it out of the pot the next day. I did use pellets as well but everything had settled normally by the next day. When i was draining the wort i had to stop using a filter as would block evey time(with pellets). I suspect if you chill and whirlpool you will be probably be ok without a filter though.
Are you using golden naked oats or malted oats? The former are crystal "Huskless oat crystal malt. Exotic ingredient for subtle nutty difference.
Colour EBC 10-20".

Nothing more annoying at the end of a long brewday than a blocked filter.
I don't like the hop spider but will probably use it first time out with the cryo hops.
I've got Naked Malted Oats from MM - described simply as 'Dehusked oats', at 3 EBC I don;t think they're a crystal malt

Got this brew on today - a bit early for the Nov comp but beer reserves are running low and i Don't have any other ingredients.

This was a bit odd for a bittering addition, but will hopefully add about 6-7 IBUs

20171008_162757.jpg

Latest posts

Back