Shaving, what you use and why

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use a Phillishave electric shaver for when I'm working due to the convenience that the electric gives. However both at the weekends and when I''m on holiday I wet shave using a Gillette Fusion cartridge razor as It gives a much closer shave than my electric does.
The problem I have with the Gillette fusion cartridges is the cost of the replacements, anywhere between £11 and £15 for a pack of 4 :eek: Now although I don't blade/ wet shave all the time, I'm finding myself going through them quicker than I ever have done.

I've now decided to try a double edged safety razor, this one https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-jagger-chrome-knurled-de-razor.html and because you can get a pack of 100 blades for a tenner; as long as I don't slice my face off, I reckon I'll be on to a winner.

So what's your shaving regime like folks?

I have a Phillips beard trimmer set to zero and have a rough cut one a week

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I use a cornerstone razor, when I am shaving. I go through period of a beard trimmer set to 1 and the get fed up with it and go smooth for a bit. Very happy with the cornerstone stuff. Delivered to the house, all the lotions and potions. Not cheap, but as I don't get a regular order isn't to expensive

https://www.cornerstone.co.uk/products

Happy to give code for first order if anyone wants, you get £10 off, I would get credit on the next order I place.

Phillishave. I tend to get a new one every 12 months or so. They usually have a half price deal on them around Fathers Day.
I find it's cheaper to buy a new than to get new blades.
My facial hair is so bloody tough if I used a Gillette or whatever for wetshave it's stuffed after a couple of shaves.

I set light to mine when when I can no longer extract the bottle tops and rizla papers embedded in it. The burn only lasts a few seconds and I protect my hair with a shower cap. Makes the house stink tho'.

I have a Remington three head shaver it's the best electric shaver I have used, I hate wet shaving.

I use an electric foil shaver every morning, and finish it off with a Gillette Fusion blade. A pack of four blades will last me about a year.

Merkur 34C with feather blades. Not the cheapest double edge blades but still miles cheaper than any cartridge blades and a better shave to boot

I use a cornerstone razor, when I am shaving. I go through period of a beard trimmer set to 1 and the get fed up with it and go smooth for a bit. Very happy with the cornerstone stuff. Delivered to the house, all the lotions and potions. Not cheap, but as I don't get a regular order isn't to expensive

https://www.cornerstone.co.uk/products

Happy to give code for first order if anyone wants, you get £10 off, I would get credit on the next order I place.
Basically this.

It's good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A Braun foil shaver. I used to wet shave but found it took too long in the mornings. I do occasionally “treat” myself to a wet shave, if we’re going out somewhere special [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In have a cheap beard trimmer, the only one that I have found that gets it to a length I want. Also use generic cheap blades to tidy the edges and neck line

I used to wet shave every morning, seven days a week with a Gillette Fusion. I look terrible with stubble so I never let it appear. Eventually I switched to a Braun foil shaver as my skin was suffering with the constant wet shaving. Then two years ago when I took six months of paternity leave I grew a beard (not going to work meant I didn't have to worry about the terrible stubble while it grew) and I haven't gone back. Grade 1 clippers once a week keeps it in check.

Braun foil electric wet n dry for years now. Gave up wet shaving, my skin didn't like it and I kept cutting myself. I looked an even bigger **** ( bigger than usual that is ) with bits of toilet paper stuck all over my chin...! :doh:

Braun foil electric wet n dry for years now. Gave up wet shaving, my skin didn't like it and I kept cutting myself. I looked an even bigger **** ( bigger than usual that is ) with bits of toilet paper stuck all over my chin...! :doh:
I used to get that when wet shaving. The trouble of trying to do it whilst half asleep in the mornings!

I was given a safety razor to test at my last place of work and havent looked bqck. So much better shave. Feels nice and as long as you have a bit of care its a doddle. Blades are cheap so feel i can stop using one as soon as it isnt at its best. With my old cartridge razors i would keep them going as long as possible. Feels nice to have a good badger brush and also some nice shaving soap which i felt i could justofy as i save so much on blades

I am another convert to the old style Double Edged razor. Never got on with electric shavers. Used to shave with the latest Gilette or Wilkinson Sword 2,3,4,5,6, bladed cartridge. They were (are) expensive and I am sure I used to change the cartridge blades way longer than I should and resulted with ingrowing hairs.

A mate told be about DE razors. After some time experimenting with different blades / soaps and 2 razors my favourite now is a Muhle R41 and a Gillette Ruby DE blade.

Once you've invested in a razor and shaving brush and time for your technique it's waaaayyy cheaper than cartridges and I change my blade every 3-4 shaves. Cheaper and no more painful / unsightly ingrown hairs.

Forgot my washbag this week when I went away for a few days. Bought some Bics and it honestly felt like I was scraping my skin off and nowhere near as close a shave.

Top tip - Styptic pencil for those little nicks whilst you're learning your technique.

Seems like a lot of you have a bit of grief with or an aversion to shaving. Here's a solution that smacks of not being able to see the wood for the trees.... don't bother. That's my approach. Same as getting washed / bathed / showered really.

Won't be long before they come out with this one. Obviously more blades = more manly. :lol:

TMk3B.jpg

Latest posts

Back