Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the Golden Stag in bottles for over three weeks had a sneak taste well a pint and it is superb. Citrusy mouthfeel and a strong hint of grapefruit. This will go to the top of the class and her indoors likes it too!!!

I just got mine done.
Without any additives it went all the way down to 1.004 within 8 days.
Never managed to get it that low before.
And already after one week in the bottle it tastes wonderful.

Will definitely make another batch.

chbster what temp did you have your brew at? reason im asking is because mines usually 18c-20c and the last festival i did took up to three weeks to reach Final Gravity, i know they at ritchies say 20c-25c. i know it willslow down fermentation at lower temps but yours was fast and to have such low F.G.

thats the mystery dagovenor.
Had it on a constant 21,5C.
I decided to hold back 1/4 of the hop pallets, and re-hydrate the yeast 10min in ~30C, else everything was by the book.
So no clue really why it behaved like it did.

I will have to try another batch to see if it does the same again.

It has by the way turned out to be one of my favourites!

Good stuff, mine wasnt to far behind FG finished at 1.1 and took two weeks to ferment out at 18-20C, its now just finished its week in the warm so couple of weeks and ill be supping! Let you know how it gets on:grin:

I want to get one of these kits.
Has anyone tried kegging the Festival kits? Any good? They come with their own priming sugar by the look of it?
If you know that you are going to keg the beer, would you chuck the priming sugar in the FV so that the ABV will be as specified?
:wha:

peelman said:
Has anyone tried kegging the Festival kits?

Yes I kegged one of these in a king keg last year and it turned out well. I didn't add the priming sugar to the FV, I used it to prime the keg. Anyway it was really nice, I would definitely recommend it.

Yes you would need the priming sugar for the king kegs. Sorry I was on about Corny kegs, where you don't prime with sugar for fizz, just sit a load of co2 on it for a bit.
But I have to be honest I have yet to hear a bad report about these kits. I have now ordered the summer ale one and its next on the hit list.
:party:

Ah sorry, should have realised that! Let us know how you get on with the kits! :thumb:

Did my Summer ale today. OG=1.039. Looking forward to this one.
:drink:

Guys, I had a few of my original post bottles this weekend..... 5 months old!!!! :shock: (I must be slacking!)
The citrus taste & smell has mellowed but the taste, wow. Better than a lot of pub beers, as good as Hopping Hare on draught.
If you can keep a doz back I'd deffo recommend it. :drunk:

peelman said:
Did my Summer ale today. OG=1.039. Looking forward to this one.
:drink:

Hi all, first post on here. My first brew for a few years, I started my Summer Ale on the 16th Feb with an OG of 1.038, it's been bubbling at around 18/19C and still going, I hopped it after 10 days (OG 1.014) and was looking to bottle tomorrow (15 day FV) but I reckon it's going to be a few more days though as it's still bubbling :shock: I had a taste of the sample and it was really good, so looking forward to the final product :tongue:

I've got a load of 'Grolsh' type bottles but I also want to bottle some in plastic (for taking into a summer festival) and have been looking at supermarket fizzy water bottles, I read somewhere these would be suitable as they will be sterile, so other than sterilising the outside are there any other considerations or recommendations for plastic bottles?

I'll let you know how I get on.

:cheers:

Tim.

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum. You should have no problems with fizzy drinks bottles, they take the pressure well.

I've picked up another Golden Stag to get ready for the summer, if it lasts that long! :rofl: :drunk:
Got 2 of the original bottles left & can't bring myself to drink them. :nah:

Just put mine in one Cornie #3 and the pressure relief valve is leaking!!
Ordered one off line so should be ok...
og 1039 fg 1009. 4% was hoping for a little stronger to be honest....

muddy90 said:
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum. You should have no problems with fizzy drinks bottles, they take the pressure well.

I've picked up another Golden Stag to get ready for the summer, if it lasts that long! :rofl: :drunk:
Got 2 of the original bottles left & can't bring myself to drink them. :nah:
I get like that when I get to the end of a really good batch lol, it's so hard to say goodbye.

Sorted the valve out and let it sit all night with 35psi of co2 sitting on it. Tried a half this evening and it's fantastic already! By the summer it's going to be even better I would think! My next brew is going to be an AG, but with kits as good as this I am having second thoughts...
I'm amazed how good it is just after 2 weeks in the primary and a week in the secondary and 24hrs in the cornie. Will definitely be doing this one again and a few more from the Festival range also, any recommendations?

:thumb:

peelman said:
any recommendations?

I've done the Pilgrims hope, which is pretty good. a bit darker, slightly maltier, not as hoppy but a nice pint.
I gave my supplier a bottle of pilgrims & a stag. She liked the stag better, her husband liked the pilgrims. It's personal taste.
I've got a bottle of Father Hooks from my mate but I want to leave it a week or 2 as it's still quite young.

muddy90 said:
peelman said:
any recommendations?

I've done the Pilgrims hope, which is pretty good. a bit darker, slightly maltier, not as hoppy but a nice pint.
I gave my supplier a bottle of pilgrims & a stag. She liked the stag better, her husband liked the pilgrims. It's personal taste.
I've got a bottle of Father Hooks from my mate but I want to leave it a week or 2 as it's still quite young.

I like the sound of Pilgrims Hope. Sounds like a nice winter ale. Think I will give it a go around mid summer ready for the cold evenings by the fire.. Cheers :cheers:

Bottled last Wednesday with an OG of 1.008 so around 4%, good for quaffing :grin: Total time in the PV was 25 days! Now in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks before 3 weeks of final cool conditioning.

I only managed to get 16litres divided between plastic and glass bottles, I don't think my bottling technique is up to scratch as I was using the finger release method, any tips for bottling?

St Peters Ruby ale next :D

Latest posts

Back