Wherry mini mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks, quick question.

I've brewed kits and done BIAB in the past. I took advantage of the Wilko sale and got another Wherry kit (like every other man and his dog) as I think it turned into a very tasty beer.

I've got a question about making a mini mash of some leftover Marris Otter malt and the aforementioned Wherry kit: if I mashed this small amount (about 100g) and then added it to the kit would it be worth it/make a positive difference or should I just do what I did last time and add some DME?

I'm conscious that this is a bit of a piddling issue, I just really want to make my wherry as nice as possible but don't want to f*ck it up by trying to be a clever dick!

If anyone has their own 'Wherry Enhancing Tips" I'd like to hear them!

Joe

Hello folks, quick question.

I've brewed kits and done BIAB in the past. I took advantage of the Wilko sale and got another Wherry kit (like every other man and his dog) as I think it turned into a very tasty beer.

I've got a question about making a mini mash of some leftover Marris Otter malt and the aforementioned Wherry kit: if I mashed this small amount (about 100g) and then added it to the kit would it be worth it/make a positive difference or should I just do what I did last time and add some DME?

I'm conscious that this is a bit of a piddling issue, I just really want to make my wherry as nice as possible but don't want to f*ck it up by trying to be a clever dick!

If anyone has their own 'Wherry Enhancing Tips" I'd like to hear them!

Joe

Since this is just "playing", I say just do it. If there are any left over hops, chuck them in as well. And any blackberries cluttering up SWMBO's freezer.

If you microwave the berries, not much is going to go wrong.

There are some Elderberries around as well, and a few heads of them will make a difference - just use a fork to get them off the stalks.

Blackberries, eh? What would the benefit of those be? Sounds good but could you tell me how yours turned out?

I'm a real chicken when it comes to experimenting with my beers. Can you tell?

:cheers:

I see!

I'll be doing this tonight, in all likelihood. Going to make some wort and add it to the proceedings. Will aim to use minimal sugar so I don't get too much of the homebrew twang.

Might even add the last of my Goldings hops; you only live once!:drunk:

Marris Otter boiled up with some goldings hops. Mixed with the cans of Wherry and 500g of DME.

SG: 1060

Been in the FV for about 12 hours and there's a thick head of Krausen (yet no airlock activity just yet.)

I brewed this to the full 23 litres, because I'm a greedy ******* and want quantity and quality with this batch. I'll not tweak it any more than this; the hops have already added some floral aroma but I don't want to take away from the malty goodness of WW too much.

It's weird going from AG back to kits; you're finished in about an hour!

Will update.

Latest posts

Back