Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be, we'll see when I tap the second keg. I hope that is all what the issue is because I'll know for next time. Hope long do you think I should wait next time. I waited almost three weeks I believe.

Could be, we'll see when I tap the second keg. I hope that is all what the issue is because I'll know for next time. Hope long do you think I should wait next time. I waited almost three weeks I believe.

At what rate did you prime? what size are the kegs,And what head space did you leave

Will try that next time. I don't know the Max priming rate for the kegs and it worries me that I could buckle and rupture them haha. Keg bombs don't sound nice

Will try that next time. I don't know the Max priming rate for the kegs and it worries me that I could buckle and rupture them haha. Keg bombs don't sound nice

I have the Brewfirm kegs and tap. The stated rate is 2 - 3 grams per litre of beer. That works out at a max recommended priming of 15 grams per 5 litre keg.

Like I said elsewhere, my gas leaked away and continues to do so.

Maybe its a time thing or a leak? ive had brews that have taken ages to carbonate also priming temps and serving temps come into it

Just having my first bottle and it has improved vastly from when I first bottled. I thought it was pretty bland back then but it has developed in the bottle well. Gonna have another and then resist the temptation until 2 weeks time when we have a party. I'll also crack open my Stout for the first then.

It's a real ale indeed. I've tasted this before in a commercial brew but can't quite put my finger on what it tastes like. Its cleared great in the bottles, still a little hazy but thats fine and doesn't impair the flavour. This is far superior to any kit I've brewed.

I've just bottled my 2nd Stout and it's delicious also. I'm hooked. I'll post less on this thread now but will still chirp in for any beginners wanting to try this. It was total alien to me until I found this thread but now it seems so easy. If anyone is having some trepidation about trying this, fire away with any questions and we'll help you out.

Well, as a long-time lurker, and after 30 or so kits I finally took the plunge and followed the recipe at the start of this thread and with a couple of kilos of malt, a few grams of amarillo and half a pack of yeast managed to make 20 bottles of beer! Cracked the first couple this weekend and it wasn't bad at all, if I say so myself. In fact 4 beer drinking friends agreed!
So I just wanted to say a big thank you to Clibit for starting this thread, I'd seen so called basic instructions for all grain brewing that were still fairly daunting to the complete novice; this one really strips it back to basics and is very approachable. I now feel like I understand the basic stages and it's given me the confidence to look forward to experimenting with future brews.
So nice one:hat:, and judging from the posts on here you should be getting commission on Wilkos stock-pots......

Clibit this thread has really opened up so many possibilities for me.
Brewed my 23rd stove top today. Cant believe i have done so many in the last few months, probably gonna be getting divorced soon. :-D
Thinking of doing a porter based on what i have read on here. How does this sound?
85% pale malt
5% brown
5%c chocolate
5 % caramunich 2

15g EKG at 60mins for a 5l batch

Clibit this thread has really opened up so many possibilities for me.
Brewed my 23rd stove top today. Cant believe i have done so many in the last few months, probably gonna be getting divorced soon. :-D
Thinking of doing a porter based on what i have read on here. How does this sound?
85% pale malt
5% brown
5%c chocolate
5 % caramunich 2

15g EKG at 60mins for a 5l batch

That looks good to me. Have you checked the expected IBUs?

40 is the border line between pale ale and IPA. I like 40, depends what you want. You could drop to 30 or 35?

Yes if you aim for 35 you can decide next time whether you want more or less bitterness.

Some of those terms confuse me and some of the steps I'm still unsure of.

What is IBU?

How do I know what temperature to set before I add my grains?

I brewed 17L yesterday to 75° before putting 4kg of grains in. This was just trial and error - my steep ended a little high at 71° and dropped to 67° after an hour. I think my beer will be fine but I'd much rather have my grains at 68° to start with.

IBU is International Bittering Units. You use a calculator to work it out. There's one on this site, here...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/calculators.php#BITTERNESS

If your mash temp is too high when you have stirred all the grain in, stir some cold water in gradually, keeping a check on the temp.

I done that with my first brew by adding boiling water but in the end I was unsure how much water in total I had added - my beer turned out fine but I coul have ruined it by adding too much.

There must be a calculator out there? ie. room/ grain temp is 21° so add water at x° will bring the wort to 68°.

Thanks for the IBU's, I'm onto my 4th AG and I'm still a noob to all of this. A lot is still trial and error but we all strive for perfection.

Edit - just looked at the calculators you supplieed, really useful resource so thank you.

Last edited:
Add any additional mash water from a measuring jug so you can add it to the mash water used and take it off the sparge water. If you sparge.

Latest posts

Back