AG 4 - Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening folks, I've got he mash started on the grain bill from this recipe.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53512

I have 50g of Carafa 3 in the mash and another 100g cold steeping in 1L of water, as I used this method to turn a kit IPA Black.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438707111.950198.jpg

I am planning to use these hops in similar quantities to the ones in the recipe on the link, although I realise the Cascade Alpha acid is a fair bit lower than the other two.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438707208.529023.jpg
Any advice on quantities?

Do you use a beer calculator like Brewers Friend at all?

I'd shoot for something like 80IBUs if it's a stronger number.

Chinook is good for bittering and will give you a solid backbone flavour to work with.

I'd personally use the Cascade and Citra for later additions, and also dry hopping. You could use either of those for bittering too as they would contribute some flavour, but the Chinook is good value for bittering as it is. Can try first wort hopping as discussed earlier in the recipe sub-forum too.

Just don't be shy with the late hops and dry hops. If your chilling technique is very slow, then you could just add them at (or shortly after) flame-out to preserve aroma.

So, no science involved, just a bit of thumb in the air I have weighed out

5g Chinook & 5g Citra for 60 mins

7g Citra, 7g Chinook & 12g Cascade for 10 min addition

4g Citra & 9g Cascade for 5 mins, but think I'll shift to flame out.
I don't have software and didn't have time to do calls once I got the kids to bed, so helping with Clibit's "Keep it simple, stupid" approach, I went by 'feel'.

Hey, it'll still make beer, right?!

I also ended up with more sort than I intended due to adding an Citra kettle to the sparge water to up the temp.

I really should plan the brew better, but got in from work & decided to go for it!!

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438713177.544499.jpg

Back