Citra Saison - BBNo 01|01 - ideas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bridger

Reaction score
Really fancy brewing a Citra Saison like BBNo 01| 01 for the summer, but I've never done a Saison before. Any thoughts / recipe / pitfalls ? Not really sure where to start.

It says there is malted rye in it, but past that I'm heading into uncharted territory 😃 Also says 'light spicing' but I've not really been able to find anything on the web as to what they used.

Anyone done something similar?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ah right didn't realise about the temp increase, I'll have to do some reading on that i think. ;-)

Really fancy brewing a Citra Saison like BBNo 01| 01 for the summer, but I've never done a Saison before. Any thoughts / recipe / pitfalls ? Not really sure where to start.

It says there is malted rye in it, but past that I'm heading into uncharted territory 😃 Also says 'light spicing' but I've not really been able to find anything on the web as to what they used.

Anyone done something similar?

I got a book with that very recipe in for Christmas. Thinking of doing that next as I have no (easy) way of keeping FV temps low, but can maintain in 22 - 27 range no probs. Will post the recipe up tonight.

Coriander is the spice they use, from memory.

Here you go. From the book Craft Brew by Euan Ferguson.

20.5L batch

OG 1.044 FG 1.002 ABV 5.5%

Grain Bill

1.35 kg Maris Otter (low colour) Pale Malt
1.08 kg Pilsner Malt
0.810 kg Wheat Malt
0.270 kg Flaked Wheat

Mash @ 65'c for 60 mins

Hops

Hallertau Magnum 5g @ 60 minutes
Citra 10g @ 10 mins
Citra 10g @ 5 mins
Citra 50g @ Flameout, steep for 10 mins before chilling

Yeast

Wyeast 3711 French Saison (or any Saison yeast)

Ferment 24'c hold for 48 hours, then allow to free rise if possible (I'm going to raise by 1'c per day for three days) then maintain at 27'c.

Other ingredients

180g Dextrose (add slowly as wort comes to the boil)

10g Cracked Coriander seeds, boil for 5 minutes. (I'm not sure from this wording if you put them in the boil in a hop bag for 5 minutes then take them out, rather than add @ 5 mins with the Hop addition, don't suppose it matters too much either way.)

There you go. Great book by the way. 50 recipes direct from some great craft breweries. Only fair to plug it as I've given this recipe away!

Going to stick it in Brewsmith and scale up to 23l, looking forward to this one.

No mention of CO2 volumes in the recipe, but thinking around 2.7 volumes of CO2 from a bit of digging about. Saisons should be very effervescent. Seen some say as high as 4 volumes.

EDIT: Just seen that Malt Miller do an AG kit for this. https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=3209 Just need to order your yeast in addition and Brewers Sugar (Dextrose) if you haven't got any. You can raid the spice rack for the Coriander seeds!

Cheers mate! Appreciated. I've currently got the Saison yeast harvested from 01|04 on the stirplate, I'm sure that yeast would be up to the job. If I could find some 01|01 I'd grow some of that up too, tho I'm sure they probably use the same yeast.

I can usually maintain about 26-28 in the airing cupboard. I've got an N.W.S. kit in there at the moment and it pretty much stayed in that range, so hoping that will be ok.

I'll take a look for that book too. :-)

I spoke to one of the brewers when I went to BBNO a few years back and he told me they used Wyeast French Saison for these beers. If you do a few bottle dregs of their beers it should all be the same unless they've changed since I asked.

Back