Youngs American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRich

Reaction score
826a5b93d9f82e7f953fc97b1cd48871.jpg

3 weeks after bottling - can't wait for it to fully clear it's really yummy [emoji3]

Well, here it is. My Youngs APA is ready to try.

Firstly, it's not clear. Doesn't particularly bother me and I don't add finings or anything, but if there's a secret to clear beer from a kit, I don't have it!

It tastes good. Really sharp and clean, it has a hint of fruit about it and a really nice bitter finish. Most importantly of all, there's no twang!

My AIPA was better, but I think that's mainly because of the hop hit that happens to appeal to me. Just like my AIPA, this may well get better and I'll post back in a few weeks (if I've got any left!) to let you all know.

For now, it's a very drinkable, clean tasting beer that I'd be happy to let someone else sample.
20180810_182339.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mines in bottles and a keg on it,s conditioning run . I found the kit a really slow ferment on the primary ,took about 3 weeks to get down to 1008 , the samples taste great but I did not hit the target FG .... Mine was about 4.6 , Anyway time will tell I will let it cold crash and do it,s thing for a few weeks to see if it clears etc etc , not much Trub in the F.V , almost like a cider .

Mines in bottles and a keg on it,s conditioning run . I found the kit a really slow ferment on the primary ,took about 3 weeks to get down to 1008 , the samples taste great but I did not hit the target FG .... Mine was about 4.6 , Anyway time will tell I will let it cold crash and do it,s thing for a few weeks to see if it clears etc etc , not much Trub in the F.V , almost like a cider .
With kits its almost impossible to not achieve your 'target' FG because all of the sugars used are predictable, and there's usually no mashing inefficiencies to take into account, unless there is a hydrometer error or some of the sugars are not mixed properly which will introduce inaccuracies. I use the Brewers Friend calculator and when doing a kit without much modding my measured FG is always within a point or so of the predicted FG.
My experience of this kit, like the AIPA, is that its ready to drink as soon as it clears. And the certainly the impact of the dry hop reduces with time until its almost gone at around 4 months. So my suggestion is start to drink it early, but as always keep a few until later to compare
Finally theres another thread on this kit here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/youngs-american-pale-ale-apa.53846/

Back