nelson smash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishking

Reaction score
Looking to move on from all grain kits and start whacking my own stuff together for the grain father.

I want to try and get a lowish abv brew on the go and figured id start with something fairly simple.

Looking at:

23ltr Brew

3.8kg Maris Otter

10g Magnum at 60 mins

5g Nelson at 30 mins
15g Nelson at 20 mins
15g Nelson at 10 mins
15g Nelson at 0 mins

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers,
Greg

Right im going to go with the below as per beer cats recommendation.

Hops:

15g at 15
15g at 5
20g at 0

Not sure on the dry hop yet, cross that bridge when i get to it.

That's not a smash :D

This is quite clearly correct.

I have done similar, though, using the hop of choice for the later additions and a high alpha hop for the bittering hop at 60m. I am not aware of any drop-off in the end product due to this.

I am, though, talking about a 23L brew using ~ 100g of hops.

You can still keep your bittering if you prefer just adjust your Nelson hops to the AA% of the Magnum or if your Magnum is 10% and 5% Nelson just double your weight.Enjoy and hope you SMaSH it....

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Nelson Sauvin intrigues me quite a bit. I'm tempted to make a version of Greg Hughes' Patersbier but using NS. Since that beer is all pilsner malt it's essentially a pilsner/saas smash as written.

Did you brew this yet? I know its probably obvious but mine tastes like white wine. Cant say i like it very much. Its still green although my citra smath was amazing after 3 weeks. Still blended with the citra its drinkable and a good experiment.

SMaSH beers are a good way to learn about malts and hops and to get a feel for different tastes, aromas and mouthfeels. That said, it's rare to find a hop or a malt that can't be improved in combination. The same is also very much the case with yeast.

I sometimes think that while SMaSH beers can form part of a learning curve, you have to question whether the time to brew one is the best use of time and resources, unless of course there's a hop or malt that you like so much you want it in isolation. Part of the magic of brewing is getting the combinations to a balance that works for you.

The OP's brew should turn out not dissimilar to Thornbridge Kipling, single malt to 5%, 40-45ibu of magnum and flame out about 50g of Nelson's, you can get the recipe in Euan Fergusons http://amzn.to/2uBwJPK book it's a great beer and a nice simple recipe.

Not put this on yet as i had been busy and the subsequent hot weather has put me off as i have no temperature control.

Interesting comments on the NS BeerCat. Im thinking i might leave the NS and do an all citra or amarillo smash first. Get some under my belt and then have a crack at the NS.

Be interesting to see how that brew mellows out.

I sometimes think that while SMaSH beers can form part of a learning curve, you have to question whether the time to brew one is the best use of time and resources, unless of course there's a hop or malt that you like so much you want it in isolation.

I have the same issues with SMaSH beers, being still fairly new to brewing my methodical, scientifically inclined side says I should do some smash beers to test out my ingredients. But people often say they are nice but a bit one dimensional, so I don't want to put in the time to brew and then drink a heap of fairly ordinary beers.

My most recent brew is close at 87% Maris Otter, 13% Munich then hopped with Galaxy.

I might brew up a batch of wort and fine a way to boil it up in 1 gallon batches each with a different hop, but that sounds like a long day and a lot of boiling losses.

Nelson Sauvin is one of the hops I want to try in isolation.

Latest posts

Back