Klarstein Beer Dispensers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leon- was that specifically the Klarstein one or generic versions? Also if they keep going back and buying new ones they must really like them?

Leon- was that specifically the Klarstein one or generic versions? Also if they keep going back and buying new ones they must really like them?

Klarstein But no mention of the model. They were given replacements. Some were now asking for a refund. But there were others that said they worked great.

Ah right, that makes sense.Good to know. I've spent a nightmare evening bottling, for various reasons I bore anyone with be ended up with just 16 500ml bottles. Tastes good though so ales well that's end well.

Mini kegs looking very appealing at the moment though.

Mine arrived during the week and it's brilliant, takes a while to get the temp down but dispenses much better than the bottom tap and, as I had no way of getting the temps down before, it means I can actually drink my kegs.

Yeah although the carbonation comes from priming sugar, the gas is just used to get the beer out of the keg it seems.

Given pressure limitations, do the mini kegs get close to your bottle conditioned carbonation levels?

Should a co2 capsule only last for 1 keg? Seems to have been used up very quickly!

I find one cartridge lasts about ankeg and a half. The instructions tell you to turn on the gas when you pour, but I ignore that - I use the keg's own pressure until nothing else comes out, then inject CO2 in 5-10 second bursts before and after pouring to keep the pressure in the keg ( the same as I did with my PSD).

I find one cartridge lasts about ankeg and a half. The instructions tell you to turn on the gas when you pour, but I ignore that - I use the keg's own pressure until nothing else comes out, then inject CO2 in 5-10 second bursts before and after pouring to keep the pressure in the keg ( the same as I did with my PSD).

That is true for my experiences with the PSD.

Well I've bit the bullet and order a Klarstein Skal, I rang them to see how long the offer was on for and the guy I spoke to said he wasn't sure but it would end before the month was out, I also asked when the next sale would be and again not sure but they usually they have a sale in January but sometimes in December, I want to get some beer sorted for Christmas so took the plunge to have this for then, hopefully it will come this week so I can use it at at the weekend BBQ, that way it's cold beer on tap in the garden and that wil leave a couple of empty kegs to put some IPA I have going in the fermentor right now

Well I've bit the bullet and order a Klarstein Skal, I rang them to see how long the offer was on for and the guy I spoke to said he wasn't sure but it would end before the month was out, I also asked when the next sale would be and again not sure but they usually they have a sale in January but sometimes in December, I want to get some beer sorted for Christmas so took the plunge to have this for then, hopefully it will come this week so I can use it at at the weekend BBQ, that way it's cold beer on tap in the garden and that wil leave a couple of empty kegs to put some IPA I have going in the fermentor right now
Something that might not be immediately obvious is that if the keg is warm it'll take a long time (maybe 4 hours to get to 10c) to chill so if you want to switch one straight in you'll need to put it in the fridge first.

I've only ever used 20g sugar in the mini kegs and it's not as fizzy as the bottles for American style beers m, not tried more than that due to fear of the keg going bang.

Ok thanks, do you think it would it have the same limitations in that respect as a regular plastic presure barrel?

with too much pressure a mini keg will 'pop' out of shape with its base n top bulging off the flat. If this happens the probability that the internal protective film covering that protects the beer from corroding the mild steel keg is compromised is increased and an iron, metalic flavour may be present in the brew when tapped.

so popping minikegs with too much of a priming charge for a highly conditioned beer risks the kegs integrity.

However With a party tap/regulated co2 supply, it is at the least very feasible to condition with pressure much like a corny/sankey keg.
check your fridges temp, and look that up in a kegging chart https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=xbA22cKg6g1riDhoRe225w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4 and read off the co2 pressure required to set and maintain the desiered level of condition.

the cooler you can chill the mini keg the lower the pressure you need to maintain to condition the beer, if using a party tap just add new co2 bulbs until the desired level of condition is achieved..

(I have not done this with minikegs, but with low temps the pressures needed to condition and maintain condition in a highly conditioned lager is well within the capacity of a party tap with a regulated co2 bulb to provide)

Can someone help me with an obviously stupid question?

The last 2 kegs I've put in the dispenser I've had problems with the beer going everywhere when trying to insert the pole thingy into the keg. The first time I opened the valve on the keg first to try and relieve some pressure but it gushed everywhere. The second time I didn't open the vent first but just tried to stick the pole in but the pressure in the keg prevented it going in and it ended up gushing everywhere. Both times the keg has been about 20c so I understand the gas had come out of solution but I can't work out how I can get around the issue without chilling the kegs first which somewhat negates the point of buying the cooler.

Can someone help me with an obviously stupid question?

The last 2 kegs I've put in the dispenser I've had problems with the beer going everywhere when trying to insert the pole thingy into the keg. The first time I opened the valve on the keg first to try and relieve some pressure but it gushed everywhere. The second time I didn't open the vent first but just tried to stick the pole in but the pressure in the keg prevented it going in and it ended up gushing everywhere. Both times the keg has been about 20c so I understand the gas had come out of solution but I can't work out how I can get around the issue without chilling the kegs first which somewhat negates the point of buying the cooler.
I've never had that problem, but I usually chill it in the dispenser first then tap it shortly before I'm ready to drink it.

Sounds like a pretty obvious solution! :lol:

I only started doing it like that after I tried to connect the keg before chilling and the tubing came off the tap connector which resulted in half a keg of Belgian pale showering my kitchen and the other half going down the sink while a frantically tried to disconnect the plastic bit from the dip tube rig.

Latest posts

Back