50 litre ipa idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
So new idea is I've seen a 50 litre fermenter with tap and wondered if this would work

2 tins coopers ipa
2 tins light liquid malt extract
100g cascade for Dry hopping
US-05 yeast
Both kit yeast sachets

http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/50-litre-plastic-fermenter-with-large-cap-bung-airlock/

Screenshot_2017-08-26-09-24-20.jpg

I want one.
But it should work. But the big problem is where to store it. Can't pick up 50 liters or move it so it has to be in a place where you're going to bottle and such. But I have never really used LME or DME for a whole brew.

Have you thought about how to lift or move it? I couldn't.

Fill it with About 15 then move to fermenting location then full rest in situ

And found this one specifically with a tap

I plan to fill 2 Corny kegs and a bottling bicket in situ again, and go from there .

Also as far as I can work out it's only 10cm higher and about 12 cm wider diameter than a regular 25 ltr fermenting bucket,

I love the idea of this but once that bad boy's full it's going to have to be where you're going to bottle from as there'll be no moving it. The logistics of generating 90+ bottles worth of beer every 2/3 weeks won't be no mean feat either in terms of bottles/kegs, storage etc.

At risk of it sounding like a dumb question

Even though that vessel is 50-60 litre capacity it's still possible to brew 23 litre standard brews in it yea ?

I once thought of doing something similar myself . All the questions from forumites about moving, bottling etc, are easily answered.

A) Moving. Basically, dont. you'll need to make you brew up and ferment it in-situ

B) Bottling. You dont have to bottle it all at once. Just get a 10L FV also and rack some out and bottle. You could easily bottle it over 2 or 3 weeks after it's finished fermenting

I have a 53l fermentor and regularly do 30-35 litre batches (7-8% kits watered down as I don't want beer that strong), no particular problems.

I have a 10l plastic fv with a tap I use to bottle. When adding sugar remember that ~2 litres will remain the the bottom of the fv (I've added too much sugar to the last batch once or twice, eg expected 10l but only got 8l).

Back