Idea: Belgian Abbey Beer from a Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Leffe Brun, particularly in the autumn and winter, and was thinking it would be nice to get some Belgian Abbey-style beer on soon so it's ready for drinking in the colder months. The problem is, I only just got my second kit on, I'm not really ready (nor do I currently have the space) for extract or all-grain brewing, and there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a Belgian Abbey kit.

So I was wondering if I could just muck about with some existing kits and make something comparable. A stout or a Coopers Dark Ale (neither of which I've used personally) seem like likely starting points, replacing the kit yeast with a Belgian Abbey yeast and adding some Brew Enhancer 2 (or something comparable) for more body and ABV.

Does anyone more experienced have any thoughts or advice?

Brewferm do an Abbey and a Triple although they are only small kits (10 - 12 litres). They take some time to condition but are both excellent kits

Edit: and Brupaks Beers of the World make a Trappist Dubbel and a Triple kit. These are both 10 litre kits (and not as good as the Brewferm ones, in my opinion)

Thanks Pavros, I didn't come across those on any of the usual suppliers, not sure how I missed them. They're 9 litres, and I'd like a little more than that, but I could just buy two and combine if there are no bigger batch recipes forthcoming.

Thanks Pavros, I didn't come across those on any of the usual suppliers, not sure how I missed them. They're 9 litres, and I'd like a little more than that, but I could just buy two and combine if there are no bigger batch recipes forthcoming.

yup put 2 together and use a bag of dark candi sugar. It takes 6 months plus to get to its best and is still good at 2 years :thumb:

or use a brown ale kit as a base again add dark candi sugar and use a belgian dried yeast. Mangrove jacks & fermentis both have a few in their range.

I'll third that. AG brewer here but I just did an Abdij and am about to put on an Oud Vlaams Bruin.

Currently drinking Triple, I was thinking that must be a few months old now and checked my records, and I brewed it last Nov.

With all the Brewfrem kits, I brew them with Lyle Golden Syrup, using 10% more than the recommended amount of sugar due to the water content. Works brilliantly. I always bottle them in 33cl San Mig bottles due to the strength, wouldn't want a pint at a time.

I did the brewferm abbey kit with candy sugar. Lovely. Even got some here that is over 2 years old. Mine came out at 9.6% and packs a punch

I have a brewferm abdij and will make when I have some bottles empty. I don't want to ruin it but might add a roasted pumpkin and some spices for next winter. My triple didn't turn out great a few years ago.

I have a brewferm abdij and will make when I have some bottles empty. I don't want to ruin it but might add a roasted pumpkin and some spices for next winter. My triple didn't turn out great a few years ago.

Brewferm do a Christmas Ale which might be the type of thing you are looking for rather than adding to the Abbey kit

Latest posts

Back