Going to try a sparkling wine - preservation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richytrue

Reaction score
I'm going to have a shot at a sparkling WOW. I have a 4.5l batch of Asda Raspberry, Apple and Cranberry ready now and was planning to just syphon off the sediment into another container, add 36g of sugar, stir and immediately bottle into 6 x 1l empty sparkling water PETs and leave to carb up.

Question is, I of course added yeast and pectolase at the beginning BUT as I wont be adding a campden tablet or stabiliser so what should I add as a preservative (if anything)?

I am also planning a sparkling mango wine and hadnt thought of this. Im also thinking now, how will you clear it? Are you going to degass the wine before adding the finings, then carbonate again after it has cleared? Wine is very difficult to clear if there is dissolved CO2 (or so Im led to believe).

Yeah, at the point that I transfer into second container and add the priming sugar I will degass and then bottle. I'm not planning on adding any finings as I don't when I do 40pt cider kits and I've found this particular juice clears nicely without them when I'm just doing a standard batch.

Hi guys

If you're wanting a really clear sparkling wine you need consider riddling (look it up). If you prime when bottling you'll get a bit of sediment in the bottle and as soon as you open it up and poor it'll cloud the wine.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Paul.

Cheers Paul,

Never heard of that before - seems a bit odd storing a bottle at an upside down 45% angle but hey if its good enough for the French I may need to invest :)

I have left my prossecco for about 3 weeks now after racking off sediment into priming bottles.. the sediment has gone pretty much solid.. when i tip the bottle now nothing much moves off the bottom whereas a couple of weeks ago it did.

Well I doubt I'm going to have to worry about preservative now. Me and the wife had a bottle of this at the weekend and it was really, really nice - maybe a bit too fizzy for my liking but I'll stick to the 40g of sugar I put in for my next batch as she likes it the way it is. Next one is going be a 2 x 1l Clementine & 1 x 1l Summer Fruits concoction. I have found the same as #needmorstuf though and the sediment is solidifying over time.

Latest posts

Back