Very Gassy Canadian Blonde

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just brewed a Canadian Blonde kit with just the addition of a few hops towards the end. All has gone well but unfortunately I must have put too much sugar in as a primer, a teaspoon, as it is very gassy.

I chilled the first few bottles well and when I opened the first I looked like a formula one winner and was left with a small amount after the eruption.

I have tried two more and how ever slowly I relieve the pressure I fizzes like you wouldn't believe and lifts all the small amount of lees. This doesn't particularly harm the flavour but does give it a slight yeast tang.

I guess I have no way out of the problem:-(

There was me thinking that this was a post about Pamela Anderson after a dodgy kebab.

Certainly sounds like overpriming. The only think I can suggest is chilling it down to -2C and opening and releasing the pressure bit by bit.

Open the bottle and immediately pour into a jug, should let you get some that doesn't have the yeast in and will soon settle down to let you pour into your glass. I have had the same with a couple of kits where i went a bit crazy with the priming, one was a wheat beer so didn't matter the other was a pils which was a pain as I spent ages lagering it to get it crystal clear.

If you have screw cap bottles you could try inverting the bottles and then store in the inverted position. When the yeast has all resettled, slightly crack open the the cap under water (say in a bowl) and that will blow most but not all of the yeast out of your bottle into the water - but don't try it wthout the water! - then quickly reseal, and return to normal position, and store until clear again.
This will at least minimise yeast in your bottle and if coupled with the fridge storage and jug methods suggested by the others you might be OK.

If you have screw cap bottles you could try inverting the bottles and then store in the inverted position. When the yeast has all resettled, slightly crack open the the cap under water (say in a bowl) and that will blow most but not all of the yeast out of your bottle into the water - but don't try it wthout the water! - then quickly reseal, and return to normal position, and store until clear again.
This will at least minimise yeast in your bottle and if coupled with the fridge storage and jug methods suggested by the others you might be OK.

Damn this dude knows his stuff. I think a company once thought it could make some cash on this idea... haha. But really, Terry is right. It works.

I cant remember how flocculant coopers yeast is but if it's quite flucculant going with the jug idea is good. Fullers yeast is notorious for overcarbing but very flucculant. So the last time I used it with my 1L growlers I opened the growler and quickly poured the beer into a 2L jug (mostly 2L of foam at this stage) and let it all settle down. The flocculancy of the fullers yeast meant it had settled out into the bottom of the jug by the time the foam had settled out whilst sitting in the fridge

ive had a Wherry and a Coopers Stout gush on me. I undid the bottle lids, released the pressure and re-sealed the bottles quickly once a week for three weeks and they were fine after that. I use screw tops so it was easy enough, I'm imagining it'd be a very different story with caps.

Good advice from folks; 1tsp is over double what I use, so I'm not surprised it's fizzy. I aim for about 100-110g/23ish L, or a scant 1/2 tsp/500ml bottle if doing it individually.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hmmm crown caps sadly.

I think I am going to go for the jug idea, a big one and empty 3-4 bottles into it. Leave it a while and then have the bonus of drowning my sorrow(ish).

I think I went wrong as I like a flat cider so only used 1/2 tsp in that and it was deliciously flat. I doubled it as I wanted a sparkly larger, not Pamela Anderson (did I laugh at that).

Cheers guys

Back