My Wherry has gone mad...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
Ok, bit of back story, I used 2 11g packets of CML Real Ale yeast (started on the 4th) instead of the kit yeast, after reading all of the posts of stuck Woodfordes kits, and my Headcracker getting a bit stuck at one point.

Long story short, initial fermentation went completely insane, and I had to fit a blow off tube, it was blowing water straight out of my airlock and replacing it with foam... :lol:

attachment.php

I label my FVs so I can't forget what I have in them... :oops:

Anyway, checked the specific gravity earlier and it's down to 1.012, from and OG of 1.048, and the airlock is still very slowly bubbling.... So, I've avoided a stuck ferment for sure, but may have created a monster in the process... :whistle: A quick taste of the trial jar and it's fairly nice, beery (it's too young for me to start picking out the different parts of the flavour) with a nice bit of bitterness, but with a bit of an alcohol kick to the flavour..

What I have taken from this however is that I probably only needed the 1 sachet of CML yeast..... :lol: Oh, and if I'd wanted Wherry closer in ABV to the commercial product I should have used the kit yeast and let it get stuck.....:twisted:

IMG_20170905_092744.jpg

That's one way to avoid a stuck Wherry! :lol:

All of the CML yeasts are incredibly vigorous in my experience. I've got an ESB on the go with one sachet real ale yeast and it is spewing out of the top of the FV.

Yeah, but it hasn't stuck.... lmao

It nearly tried to explore my kitchen....

But it's not stuck....

lol

My US'ified golden I have on at the moment is no slouch either, and I only pitched 1 packet of CML US Pale Ale yeast into that.... Good job that I now put a blow of tube on to start with until they settle down really... lol

Back