Cherry wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
Wondered if I could have some feedback on a recipe i wanna try.

1 can coopers wheat beer
1kg dried wheat extract
2 410g tins black cherry pie filling (to be added after primary in secondary vessel before bottling)

I was going to go orange and corriander but I like cherry and beer, and mixing the 2 seems like a good idea

I tried adding cherries from a can to an all grain recipe of wheat beer , it didnt taste to good had a metaly taste about it. I think next time i will try the cherry syrup.

Lowicz do a cherry syrup
Have used the syrups in ciders would assume they woulds go ok in a beer!

Ahhhhhhhh
the cherry is one i did not try,don't like the taste of cherry in any drinks. Would imagine it would do so .

I tried a few times do do a cherry wheat beer. You absolutely need to add the cherry whatever at secondary as primary scrubs a lot of flavor/aroma. however to get the cherry kick I wanted meant ending up with an 8% beer. I'd suggest a concentrated cherry extract rather than the polish syrup. cherries aren't cheap unfortunately if you want a good cherry flavor it will cost :-( compare the price of brewfferms kriek with their framboos !

i'm after the kick you get in a KASTEEL ROUGE but in a wheat beer.

Ok just been reading about smoked wheat beers, how would or could I do that instead of cherries with a pre hopped coopers tin, shall I just steep some smoked grain in water and use that with my dried extract

Ok just been reading about smoked wheat beers, how would or could I do that instead of cherries with a pre hopped coopers tin, shall I just steep some smoked grain in water and use that with my dried extract

yes :thumb:

I have some smoked malt to

a) put in a wheat beer
b) to put in a RIS

I tried a few times do do a cherry wheat beer. You absolutely need to add the cherry whatever at secondary as primary scrubs a lot of flavor/aroma. however to get the cherry kick I wanted meant ending up with an 8% beer. I'd suggest a concentrated cherry extract rather than the polish syrup. cherries aren't cheap unfortunately if you want a good cherry flavor it will cost :-( compare the price of brewfferms kriek with their framboos !

i'm after the kick you get in a KASTEEL ROUGE but in a wheat beer.

Yea and most of the krieks are in 250ml bottles, but IMHO there worth every penny.
I did ask a brewer in a Belgium brewery not so long ago about this and he did say they add a syrup, sometimes to there sours which kind of makes sense as you get that sweet and sour taste all in a mouthfull and im sure you wouldnt get that sweetness from cherries alone.
Did you use a syrup?

Yea and most of the krieks are in 250ml bottles, but IMHO there worth every penny.
I did ask a brewer in a Belgium brewery not so long ago about this and he did say they add a syrup, sometimes to there sours which kind of makes sense as you get that sweet and sour taste all in a mouthfull and im sure you wouldnt get that sweetness from cherries alone.
Did you use a syrup?

Yes I used the polish syrup but it wasn't as concentrated as I wanted, it's intended as an ice cream topping amongst other things. Still its not much more that £1 a bottle and you'll still have a great wheat beer, just not a full on cherry one.

Latest posts

Back