PUMP'S

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone Cold

Landlord.
Reaction score
i'm thinking of getting 2 x new pumps to replace the one i have can i get some links and recommendations to what pumps work well for brewing on the dark-side

last I heard they are about £130 . . . But they are the Rolls Royce of pumps

130!! :shock: X 2 :sick:
Maybe I will stick to the one I have its just a bit of a beast
IMG00029-20100816-1410.jpg

does anyone know how to go about controlling the speed of the motor? other than using the valves to control flow rate?

you need a Power controller . . . Not on my PC at the moment, but have a link to one . . . The pumps get a bit unstable below 50% Speed though as I have two RG550's like yours, controlled with a couple of Phase Angle Controllers Warning Again Not Cheap. Unfortunately UA have stopped doing the 6A one I use for mine.

Another way to control the RG550s without using motor control is to put a bypass loop between the in and out ports with a valve on it. This one is mine

RG550Bypass.jpg

You can run the RG55 at full pelt and with the bypass valve open very little gets sent out of the 'out' port

There is a pump review thread here SC

FWIW, the March 809 for the price is impossible to beat as it will happily pump boiling liquids all day. Also, they've just 'uprated' (I use the term loosley) it for Morebeer in the states, see here so maybe worth asking about the new pumps.

If you're only likely to be pumping liquids to 80 deg c ish then the Totton GPO 20/12 is another stalwart of a hb pump. Norm of corny fame can supply these, here for around £60. The only 'downside' is that they don't like restricting too much :thumb:

Also worth a good look on E-bay for the March 809's from the US, still cheaper than the U.K ie, here

thankyou very much, I have started playing around with what i have already. and I am about to go inside a restaurant dish washer to have a look at the pump inside. basically im trying not to part with cash.

Latest posts

Back