The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrate31

Reaction score
just a little help needed and be much appreciated
have pressed my apples,stored juice for 24 hours in brewing bucket to which i added 1 campden tablet,pectolase and yeast nutrient 1 tsp of each per 5 gallons.
after 24 hours i added a yeast starter using wine yeast to brewing bucket and left for a further 4/5 days(inbetween this took OG 1.060)
transfered this to demijohns via a syphon and fitted airlock to each
this i gather is classed as secondary fermentation.to these i added another campden tablet and also tsp of potassium sorbate per demijohn and put into airing cupboard
have noticed they have cleared lovely thats fine,but haven't noticed much in the way of bubbles being released
so after all that bloody rattling is there anything wrong with the process i have done and if so what will happen to my cider
added the potassium sorbate as wanted flat cider
any help greatly appreciated
andy

does it taste ok?? did you take a FG? so you can work out the ABV?? the process looks ok a few???
why did you wait 24hrs to add the yeast?
did the bucket have a airlock etc and if so did u notice bubbles from that??

im sure someone more into cider will give advice.

If it tastes nice, you like it and it contains alcohol then the process is IMHO upto you! :drink:

hope it helps :hat:

Fg was 1.000
Bucket didn't air lock but like was heavily swollen,I would just slowly release this everyday
I was told to add yeast after 24 hours
Haven't tasted it yes as only been in demijohns for 8 days was going to leave it four weeks before syphoning into bottles properly and getting rid off tho sediment at the bottom

Fg was 1.000
Bucket didn't air lock but like was heavily swollen,I would just slowly release this everyday
Haven't tasted it yes as only been in demijohns for 8 days was going to leave it four weeks before syphoning into bottles properly and getting rid off tho sediment at the bottom

In future just rest the lid on the FV so the CO2 can escape (it stops the swelling)

giving the gravity's it should be 8%

like ive said when you rack it to bottle give it a taste you can always back-sweeten it.

hope it helps :hat:

You could use one of these which would allow you to fit an airlock to your bucket -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airlock-G...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item51c066fba1

1389187975-05746700.jpg

Airlock Grommet Wine Beer Making Bin Bucket Home Brew Lid Rubber Seal x 3

An ideal replacement for old grommets which may have perished over time preventing a tight seal. Grommets with signs of perishing should be replaced to avoid the possibility of contamination.

If you have a Fermenting Bin without a hole in the lid then you may wish to drill a hole to enable the use of an Airlock to allow CO2 to vent out and to prevent a lid without hole from being forced off.

These Grommets are suitable for the standard Airlocks which we stock and create an airtight seal. Could be used for other applications.

Each order is for 3 Grommets. ie. if you make a purchase of 2 packs you will receive 6 Grommets.

Dimensions:
17mm (grommet width)
12.5mm (drill hole size)
9.5mm (hole for airlock)
1.6mm (grove depth around grommet)

Well just about to rack my cider into glass screw top bottles it tastes very sharp but added a bit of sugar and wow pretty good
How long can it keep in the glass bottles

I hope you are the patient type.

I very seldom touch my ciders before a year. The batch I'm drinking now is almost 3 yrs old. It's hard to wait that long when you first start out- just keep making cider and soon you'll have enough in production that it will be esier to wait that long.

Well bottled cider has been their week old a half ,had to try some like a little kid.tasted ok didn't seem to be very alcoholic but just putting that down to trying it too soon ,have 8 more 2lt bottles in garage would it best to leave them untouched till Xmas time at least

Just read your original post. So you fermented in a bin for 4/5 days, then transferred to demijons and added pot. sorbate and campden tablets. Well, doesn't both these things totally kill the yeast, hence no bubbling from the airlocks?
Should you not have fermented in a bin as you in fact did. Then transferred to demijons but waited until it had fermented out before racking it off from the sediment & adding the chemicals to kill the yeast. You could then have sweetened it to how you like it & then bottled it.

Well just followed what I had read,it didnt say when to add the pottasium and camden tablet but listed it after primary fermentation.I mean it's bottled now original gravity was 1.060 fg is just below 1.000 was this because I added the above mentioned stuff

I would love a blow by blow account of the best way make cider from apple's as the mixed ways I have read and been told are confusing the issue a tad
Even to the point on how long to keep it when bottled,how long till drinkable
Any help greatly appreciated

Cool that spot on ,just be nice to meet someone with more experience than me,so experience full stop and sen how their cider tastes.
Like I said tried mine a bit maybe but doesn't taste alcoholic
So best way primary ferment in bucket for about 5 days
Syphon into DJ until at fg of 1.00
After ferment add potassium sorbate to kill yeast
Rack into bottles leave for how long?

Back