grolsch bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred666

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the swing top bottles are like for standing up to a bit of pressure? the drink itself is carbonated so i assume all will be well if i try to brew my own bubbles in some

I cannot remember reading a post about swing top bottles breaking, the post below says he lost the top and they didn't break so you should be fine.

Re: Bottle Bombs with Swing Tops?

Postby Cully

I had a couple of Bernard dark swing top bottles and must have over-carbonated - the top flipped off with so much force the plastic bit broke off the metal and shot across the room, denting a palsterd wall!

My wife worked in a pub once, about 30 years ago, when grolsch was really popular with `yuppies'. Remember them? The landlord let her have as many bottles as she wanted as they didn't have a deposit on them. I'm still using them, though I recently had to replace the rubber seals on them which were a bit expensive, though if they last another 30 years that'll be a bit beyond my life expectancy... They take pressure fine, as good as any pressure bottle. I once bottled a bit before I should have done. There was so much pressure in there that I had to open the bottles one side of the sink, with the glass on the other side, and the whole contents shot over the sink and filled the glass. Not one bottle broke. I use a hydrometer nowadays!

I use grolsh bottles, almost exclusively, and ive not had any beer bottle bombs.. i did loose 2 to a mix of £shop laundry oxi i had sealed in the bottle to decrud after not rinsing quickly enough post sampling tho, and they failled in a very boring way, just cracked and fell appart..

they are quite thin, but do hold pressure, but to be on the safe side its not a bad idea to drape an old towel or grain sack over bottles when left to condition in the warm or if left in a variable temp spot for storage/maturing.

If they hold when warm and fully conditioned you can rely on em holding well when chilled cool as the pressure inside will drop with temperature.

Thanks for the replies guys, that's that sorted. may cover with an old towel, but I'm guna get on ebay right away and put a bid on a few crates I've seen...

look out for the 20x grolsh crates, dont be tempted by the 16x jobs with the central moulded handle unless you can get all you want they are a pita as they wont stack with anything other than the same crate design.

if buying generic crates ignore me ;)

Latest posts

Back