Brewing without irish moss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurp

Reaction score
:( Been brewing landlord tonight just got the boil going and realised aint got any irish moss left so looks like have to do without .Any suggestions of emergency household alternatives or is it just a cloudy pint scenario

I think (and stand to be corrected here) that the job of finings in the keg is to attract proteins or yeast cells using postive & negative charges and drop them to the bottom. In order for this to happen with protein matter in needs to have been brought out of the wort, this I think is the job of the copper finings. I guess if it were possible to do that none of us would use copper finings :hmm:

Aux Finings will drop out protein matter
Issinglass Finings will drop out yeast

I can't remember which way around it is but one is +'ve and the other is -'ve so they should be added 48hrs apart or they cancel each other out.

Like I say, i'm no expert on this and stand to be corrected, this is just what i've been told/picked up :thumb:

Leave your beer for a month-it'll clear. Might not be perfect but i won't tell anyone. ;)

Irish moss is a bit hit and miss anyway. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wouldn't worry that much. :drink:

Thanks i will leave it in secondary fv for 2 weeks with airlock then keg it and give it time to clear in the keg.I am aiming to let my beer mature for 3 months in the keg b4 drinking as standard as i have noticed a big difference in taste b4 3months vers after 3 months so sounds like it should clear by then.
Before you ask yes i have enough beer to last for 3 months :D

I bow down to you. :drink:
Well done for giving your beer the time it deserves to mature properly. :cheers:

Its easily achieved just brew beer continually and have a shed load of cornies also helps if you have no friends :oops:

I haven't used kettle finnings for years as i kept on forgetting to use them & noticed my beers were still nice & clear without them.It might be different for some people as it could be to do with my water or strong boil ect

Latest posts

Back