using yeast from last brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
hi just bottled our brew and we thought about using the yeast for our last brew for are new brew any ideas how you do this please :cheers:

Get the yeast and trub in the bottom of your FV back into suspension by agitating the FV, add more water if necessary.
Depending on volume pour into a 1 or 2 litre bottle and let stand for 20 - 30 mins.
The heavier trub will settle out leaving the yeast in suspension (the bit you want).
Pour off into another bottle (leaving the trub behind) and keep in fridge untill required.
This time the yeast will have settled out (the bit you want) so you can pour most of above the yeast off, just leaving enough fluid to re-suspend the yeast.
The above may be rough and ready, but it works!

so to clarify about re-using yeast.

pour off the leftovers at the bottom of the fv into a container, and let settle for about 20 mins, then the yeast is in suspension in the liquid, pour that into someting else, and let this settle for a day, and the yeast is the stuff in the settled as the bottom.

if I've left it too long the first time, the yeast and crud will be mixed, and that's not good, so re-agitate, and take off the liquid, with the yeast in, after about 20 mins.

Is there any reason why the FV complete with the trub can't be re-used by simply pouring the new wort over the trub (having cleaned the scum fro m the top of the FV?

EDIT:
I've just barrelled my first AG and put 300ml of "raw/neat" slurry into a clingfilm-covered jar in teh fridge to use tommorrow for another, weaker, mild. Would this be ok if taken out of the fridge early tomorrow to get to room temp??

Looked at the slurry; changed my mind...whilst it was probably ok I didn't want to risk it!
Am considering "rinsing" yeast from AG #2.oh look ..... there's that steep learning curve again!!!

I used to wash and split my yeast but found it would go of. What I now do is pour the slurry into a 2L pop bottle to the top. It will build up a bit of co2 which keeps it sterile. I then keep it in the fridge for the next brew. I used the last lot on 40L of barley wine 1080 ish and it went like a rocket. I also kept a little in some small plastic bottles which have kept. I am just culturing one up for next weeks brew. I had to do that as you cannot reuse a yeast cake from a high gravity beer as the yeast will be b*ggered.

Sounds good Graysalcemy....slurry into bottle into fridge....nice and simple...just how I like it!

As long as you use a sterile bottle. I have always found that using little pots that the surface area is to great compared to the volume and infection gets it. Keeping it under pressure is just like bottle conditioned beer. The only problem is that the big one I did was little active and I ended up with a yeast fountain :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you keep it under airlock in your fermenter and start your next brew in a few days, just get most of the liquid out, dump it on the cake and stir it. Don't use it more than a few times - yeast mutates after a while and whilst you won't get 16-eyed super mutants jumping out of your beer, it can create bad flavours. Use your common sense too - if you've just made a clean bitter and you want to make an IPA next, it's obviously going to be fine - if you've just made a stout and you're sticking a cider in there, don't. :p

Latest posts

Back